Mentor's Meeting

We reached the academy, shaken and stunned. Clemmy had taken over trying to comfort a hysterical Lysistrata. I walked next to her, arm around her to support her in as comforting a way as I could muster. We were met by an angry Dr. Gaul and an exhausted Professor Highbottom.

Dr. Gaul stepped forward to speak, "this is a most unfortunate turn of events" she started. At the same moment, Professor Highbottom grasped Coriolanus by the sleeve and pulled him out of the room. Coryo would undoubtedly be getting a lecture on the idiocy of his publicity stunt. 

"Go home, all of you. Rest, recover, and reset. Then be back here tomorrow, sharp and spiffy. You will have a tour of the arena with your tributes, and an allotted time to discuss strategy with them," Dr. Gaul finished.

"Surely you don't mean that the games will continue, Dr. Gaul," Lysistrata seethed, venom dripping from her voice.

"I do indeed mean that, Miss Vickers. I am sorry about your classmate, but the games must go on." It was clear from her tone that there was to be no room for discussion. She gave the room a stern look, and left us to ourselves. 

Sejanus made his way through the crowd towards me, enveloping me in a brief embrace. "Oh, Rosie, thank God. I-" but before he could continue, Coriolanus was spat back out of Professor Highbottom's office.

 He marched towards us with steely determination, pulling Sejanus away by the shoulder. "I have to speak to you," he told Sejanus, before turning to me. "Don't move, I'll be right back for you."

I was frustrated by his demands, all I wanted to do was run home. This was my chance to get away, I couldn't bear being surrounded by people anymore. I needed to be alone, to sort out my thoughts and process things. If I waited for them to come back, I knew Sejanus would insist upon walking me home. He would never permit me to go alone, especially after such a horrific day. 

I don't know why I stayed planted as per Coryo's request, but it took my last shred of willpower to do so. He returned shortly, but he was alone. "Where is Sejanus?" I asked.

"He is going to try and reason with Dr. Gaul." he responded flatly. "I will be escorting you home tonight."

"Honestly, Coryo, you don't need to do that. I can walk myself."

"I'm certain you can, Rose, but I wasn't asking. Take my arm now." Rose. Since when am I Rose to him?  I was puzzled. I shot him a look that asked for explanation, but his tall figure was focused straight ahead. I gave in, taking his arm and walking out into the frost. 

I had so many questions to ask him. How did he find himself in the human zoo? Why would he put himself in that position? Why was he bringing flowers to his tribute, treating her like a prize? What did Professor Highbottom say? How did Sejanus plan on reasoning with Dr. Gaul? And why and since when did he dub me affectionately, Rose? The same flower he'd tucked behind the ear of Lucy Grey? 

My head spun, and I settled on asking the simplest of all the questions my brain had concocted. "Coryo, can you be honest with me?" I began. 

"I always am, Rose." 

That sounds like a lie. "Alright," I allowed. "Do you think there's any chance that Arachne will pull through?" I knew there wasn't, but I wanted to test the waters with him, see how he would respond. I wanted to know whether he would sugar coat to give me false hope, or if he would be upfront. 

"None at all," he said shortly. Well, he was certainly honest. The rest of my questions died in my throat as we approached my humble abode. It dawned upon me that Coryo didn't know where I was leading him, he didn't expect to see the shabby brick hovel with dismantled shutters and peeling paint on the door. I swallowed my shame, and forced myself to stand straighter. Trying and failing to look confident in his presence as I spoke, "this is me" and I veered us off the path towards the narrow steps. We reached the dirty overhang, standing beneath it to shield ourselves slightly from the bitter wind. 

"I hope you will not feel embarrassed at my seeing your living conditions," Coryo said, too softly to sound like himself. "My own are truly not any better. Though it looks fine on the outside, the inside is as ravaged as this." I was stunned that he would share this with me. I already knew, of course, as Sejanus had mentioned. But Coryo didn't know that, and it seemed very unlike him to volunteer that information. 

I nodded slightly, mustering a grim smile. "I guess we have more in common than we thought."

"Yes, I believe we do," as he said so, he took my hand between his own and brought it to his lips, kissing it lightly. A vein of electricity shot down my arm from the contact, causing me to blush deeply. I hoped that he would write it off as windburn. He then brushed my cheek with his thumb before lightly threading my delicate earring over his sturdy fingers. He pulled the chain forward and released it, causing it to swing gently. "I like these on you."

My dark eyes gazed into his brilliant blue ones, as I melted at his touch. I was desperate to know where this was coming from, what it all meant to him. I couldn't know the answer, however, at least not tonight.

"Thank you, Coryo," I breathed. "For being here.... Thank you for being a good friend."

                                                  **************************************

     Much to my dismay, morning came again. I was dismayed even further to find myself being herded into a guarded classroom, each tribute chained to their seat as they waited for their mentor. I felt poorly about myself for the fear I felt at the sight of Reaper, but the fear did not leave. I did not allow it to show, however. I made my way over to him with the best look of easy confidence I could muster. I sat down, is if to coffee with an old friend. It took a great deal of effort to keep my focus on Reaper, and not get distracted by Coryo who was whispering intimately to Lucy Grey. 

"Hello, Reaper," I smiled. He stared back, stone-faced. "I'm your mentor, Ambrosia Cadence, but you may call me Rosie, if you like." I was met with silence. "So, Reaper, do you have any special skills we can capitalize on? Anything you can tell me may help us create a strategy that will give you a chance of winning."

Reaper slammed his fist on the desk suddenly, causing me to jump. "I don't give a damn about winning. I don't care about your assignment, or your prize, or any of it. I don't care to live as cattle." 

I twirled my pen between my fingers, a nervous habit I'd never been able to kick. "Alright, Reaper, what do you care about? Is there anything that will motivate you to at least try at this?" He didn't speak, but I saw him toss a worried glance at Dill. "You care for her." I said matter-of-factly. 

"She is very ill." was all he could muster. 

"I'll see what I can do to get her some medicine." I offered. A flash of hope crossed Reaper's face as pity coursed through me. I knew that even if I was able to procure legitimate medication for Dill, she would never survive the games. Realistically, it seemed as though she was destined for death even if she hadn't been drafted.  But if I could help Reaper by helping Dill, I would have to try.