𝐓𝐄𝐍

italics = flashing back to earlier in the day,
just so the time isn't confusing. also a brief
trip down memory lane

ALSO!!! 9.1k?! I LOVE ALL OF YOU!

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

     JOEL MILLER HAD MANY REGRETS IN LIFE

JOEL MILLER HAD MANY REGRETS IN LIFE. But right now, none compared to the events that had taken place just a couple of hours ago. This was the first time Josie seemed genuinely upset with him, and he wasn't sure what to do to make things right.

It had taken a bit of convincing, but he'd reluctantly agreed that they could spend the night in Bill and Frank's place and then head back out in the morning. Of course, Joel wanted to leave right away. And he wasn't shy in saying exactly that.

But of course, Ellie begged to have the chance to sleep in a bed that was comfortable, and to be able to take at least one more shower with water that was actually hot if she wanted it to be.

Hearing all of that, Joel still said no. But then he saw the way Josie tried to shake off the way he knew her body had to have been hurting. Watched as she said she'd go and repack her backpack, and then she'd be ready to leave whenever he wanted.

In that moment, Joel felt guilty. Despite instances where they disagreed, Josie was never one to argue. Tess once asked why she never really pushed back with either of them. If she strongly disagreed, she'd say so but even after voicing her opinion, at the end of the day she'd simply follow Joel and Tess.

At first, Josie said she didn't know. But after thinking about it she said that despite them reassuring her that she pulls her weight, she feels like she doesn't do enough. That she knows the 2 of them would get by just fine without her, but she probably wouldn't get very far without them.

Hearing that pulled at Joel's heartstrings. Later when Tess was heading back to her place, Joel asked Josie to stay behind and said he'd walk her home after.

That night, they ended up talking for nearly 3 hours. Joel learned all about Josie's life before the outbreak, and he smiled at the way she talked about Pietro. And Josie felt honored that Joel was comfortable enough to talk about Sarah. She learned all about the trickster that she was, and how Sarah and Tommy would often gang up on him.

Towards the end of their conversation, Joel got a little more serious. Josie replayed his words in her mind whenever she was doubting herself.

"You will always have a place with me, and Tess. Don't ever think that you're not as much a part of everything. You do plenty for us, and I know I — we wouldn't be okay without you."