Chapter XII: Dan Needs His Daddy, Too (Part Neoproterozoic)

Grief. So that was what it looked like.

PPMC's first taste of the natural world hit her wires hard. Yet, she did not know if it was an emotion she felt. She tried to understand while studying Dan: his frequent calls for his father, rapid breathing, and the occasional cough. How did one help someone suffering a panic attack? There was so much for PPMC to learn, and she didn't get to practice because Chenoa returned with Ben.

She moved her hands closer to get a better look. Chenoa told her that observance was one of the best ways to learn.

Dan's instincts kicked in. The second his father was there, he stood and stamped on his foot. Afterward, he threw himself into Ben's arms and asked, "Dad, why didn't you tell me what the PPMC Project was?"

"Because you wouldn't have come," Ben answered. "Dan, I know you're scared, but this is a great opportunity. Your mother would want this."

Dan released himself. "But I'm gonna get spaghettified!" The internal conflict was too apparent on his face.

PPMC knew he wanted to do the project, but she also knew he was scared of the black hole, as expected. Not only did he need his father's support right now, but also his mother's—her. How, though? What did a mother do when a child was scared: read them a bedtime story or sing a lullaby? But Dan was seventeen. Gah, things just got a lot harder. Luckily, Chenoa was right there.

"Come with me, Dan," she said, flicking her wrist. "Your dad and I want to give you a quick tour of PPMC."

A tour? Snap! Did PPMC clean up before coming out here? She recalled dusting off her time machine, but that was it.

"Go on, PPMC." Chenoa grinned and patted the top of PPMC's right hand.

She nodded and pulled her hands into her main body. PPMC found herself in the cockpit. The space center built her time machine in with the cockpit's console. The screen blinked when PPMC passed it. She found a button above it and punched it.

At her command, the cockpit's hatch opened, revealing Dan, Chenoa, and Ben, and dropped a ramp. It nearly touched their toes once it found the launch pad.

PPMC moved her hands to the ramp's head and gestured at them. "All aboard PPMC, time travelers. Make sure not to lose anything precious in the wormhole."

"PPMC!" Chenoa snapped.

Dan lightly yelled and attempted to escape, but Ben snatched the back of his overcoat. "Dan, just give it a chance," he begged.

Strange, PPMC heard melancholy in her maker's voice. Well, Chenoa was part of the line of scientists who built her. Ben was the one who programmed her with Becca's personality. PPMC was merely a science experiment. Not for long, though.

"Dan," she stated, hands approaching him, "do you want to see the time machine and dinosaurs? I could use a lesson in geologic time." Chenoa taught her that, too. A good mother showed interest in her child's hobbies.

"Dinosaurs?" Dan almost sounded like a little boy. The topic of dinosaurs definitely intrigued him. He pulled away from Ben and came within reach of PPMC, an internal conflict still taped on his face.

She led him into the cockpit and escorted him to her time machine. She turned it on with a wave of her hand.

A geologic-style clock appeared on the screen. As if it were a pizza, a line cut it into four parts, each reserved for a time period. The number of millions of years replaced the usual times, and a picture adorned each era. At the moment, the clock's hand rested on the Cenozoic Era, 3023.

"Geologic time," Dan whispered. His hand hovered over the Jurassic Period, 150 Ma. "PPMC, the Quetzalcoatlus was Mom's favorite prehistoric animal." He giggled feebly. "She used to tell me stories of her riding one. Said they would one day come true."

"While there are no Quetzalcoatlus in the Jurassic Period," PPMC explained, "there are Pterodactyls. Who knows, Dan? Maybe you'll fulfill your mother's dream." Her hands dropped, and she rested them on the time machine, one over the other. "Dan, listen to your father. This is a great opportunity for you."

Dan nodded. "I know, but... but the black hole."

"I'm programmed to keep you safe." PPMC lifted one hand and offered it to him. "And I will. I promise."

"In forms both big and small." What did Dan mean by that? PPMC prepared to ask, but his angry face returned, and he swatted her away. "No! Forget it! Y'all have no right to do this to me!"

Woof, he was a rebellious one, wasn't he? His emotions changed frequently. PPMC assumed it was because of his age and grief. She didn't know much about teenagers, but Chenoa said they were a pain in the butt at times. After what Dan went through with his mom, patience was the best thing PPMC could do for him.

He turned to Ben and Chenoa and demanded, "Where's my hoverscooter?"

Chenoa did not hesitate. "It's safe and sound in the compartment under PPMC."

"Excuuse you!" Dan crossed his arms. "I didn't say I was going to do this stupid exploration! I want my hoverscooter!"

"Well then, why don't you and your father discuss it?" Chenoa snickered at Ben.

He cursed in response.

"I'll leave you boys to it." Chenoa backed up to the cockpit's exit. "Once you're ready, we'll continue the tour." Before they argued with her, she waved. "Toodeloo!" Just like that, Chenoa stepped into the hallway and shut the door, leaving PPMC alone with two heated, grieving men.

Dan started the conversation with, "Are you seriously too lazy to travel through the black hole yourself, Dad? Is this really how much you want to get rid of me?"

"Get rid of you?" Ben came closer. "What are you talking about, son? I chose you because you know geologic time better than me." He sat in the pilot seat and scratched one of PPMC's palms.

If PPMC could purr, she would. Thanks to Ben, her hand no longer itched with worry. She relaxed and watched the scene unfold.

Dan crossed his arms and faced Ben. "You and Molly didn't have to hide it from me, Dad."

"It was the only way to get you here," Ben explained. "I didn't want to lie, Dan, but I had to. Your mom and I learned this when we started dating. We told each other we didn't want kids and then had you. Our lie gave us the greatest gift in the world." Soon after he said that, he blushed and hid behind the head of his chair. "Wait, did I say that aloud?" Aw, even Ben was too cool to say he loved Dan.

A small, sad chuckle left Dan's lips. He stood before Ben and crossed his arms (PPMC needed to beef him up some). "How about this, Dad?" He held up one finger. "I'll do this mission on one condition and one condition only: you spend more time with me when I return."

"Your one-night stand with Molly isn't enough?" Ben joked, a light shining in his eyes.

"Dad!" Dan snapped. He looked so cute when embarrassed. He was starting to grow on PPMC, but she still needed his trust in return. After all, trust was the only way for them to succeed.

"I'm kidding!" Ben told Dan, getting up. "Yes, yes!" he said, clenching his fists. "Thank you, Dan! Thank you so much! That black hole won't stand a chance against you and PPMC!"

Dan shuddered. "Let's hope not. But remember, Dad, I'm doing this so you can spend more time with me afterward." He held out his gloved hand. "Deal?"

"Deal," Ben giggled, shaking it. "Now, let's get you ready for tomorrow."