Chapter Twenty: The Unexpected Turn of Events

*Present 

The stunned silence persists as Charles steps back, a smug satisfaction evident in his expression. The team, Mick, and I exchange glances, grappling with the uncomfortable aftermath of the unexpected and inappropriate encounter.

Mick: (angry) Charles, that's out of line, mate!

Charles ignores Mick's admonishment, his gaze lingering on me with an unsettling intensity. The atmosphere, once filled with jubilation, now feels tainted, the celebratory air replaced by a cloud of tension.

Team members exchange uneasy glances, unsure of how to navigate this unexpected disruption. The cheers from the crowd have turned into a hushed murmur as onlookers process the shocking turn of events.

Trying to regain composure, I take a step back, wiping my mouth, my expression a mix of confusion and anger.

Me: (firmly) Charles, that was completely uncalled for. Keep your personal issues out of the professional space.

Charles smirks, seemingly indifferent to the discomfort he has caused.

Charles: (sarcastically) Just thought you might want a reminder of what really matters, Juulia.

He turns away, leaving behind a trail of tension and confusion. The team, still processing the situation, looks on with a mixture of concern and frustration.

Mick: (supportively) Are you okay, Juulia?

Me: (nodding) I'll be fine. Let's not let this ruin the celebration.

As we attempt to refocus on the victory, the awkward encounter with Charles lingers in the air

In the cool down room the tension was uncanny and even Max could feel it 

Max, the good guy that he is comes up to me and congratulates me on my win

Max: Congratulations Juulia, you really showed me up today on track. It really took me by surprise. 

Me: Thanks Max I didn't know i had it in me honestly

Charles then walks in the room looking all smug and sitting down in my chair in the middle of the two other seats 

The cool-down room, usually a space of post-race camaraderie, now hangs heavy with tension. Even Max, ever perceptive, senses the unease in the air. However, he decides to break the ice, offering a congratulatory gesture.

Max: (smiling) Congrats, Juulia. You really showed me up today on track. Took me by surprise.

Me: (grinning) Thanks, Max. Honestly, I didn't expect it either.

As our exchange unfolds, Charles enters the room, wearing a smug expression that amplifies the discomfort in the already tense atmosphere. He unapologetically takes a seat in my chair, deliberately positioning himself in the middle of the two other seats.

Me: (raising an eyebrow) Charles, that's my seat.

Charles: (smirking) Well, it's mine now.

The exchange is loaded with passive-aggressive undertones, and the room feels like a powder keg ready to explode. Max, sensing the escalating tension.

Amidst the simmering tension in the cool-down room, Max steps in with a gesture of goodwill.

Max: Juulia, you can sit in my seat. I don't mind.

I nod appreciatively, acknowledging Max's attempt to diffuse the situation. Grateful for the offer, I take the seat Max has graciously offered, casting a brief glance at Charles, who maintains his smug posture.