✧13

☃︎❅✧˖°・::。・::・゚.𖥔 ݁ ˖

My blankets cover my head as I try to burrow deeper into my warm bed. It is way too early to wake up. Whoever is poking me awake is going to suffer the consequences later. I can hear my name being called, but I don't register who is calling it. It doesn't matter, however, because I just want to get some sleep.

"Rose!" Someone's voice calls. Their poking turns into shaking. One of my arms flies out to whack them away from me. It works because they back up. My eyes are wide open under the covers and suddenly I don't feel as tired as I was. How dare this person ruin my sleep. I was having a good dream, too.

"Ugh, do you know what time it is? You don't go poking people in their sleep," I say in a grumpy voice. My body straights to a sitting position, and I rub my eyes. For a second I believe the person is gone but I finally open my eyes to see Cole standing in my bedroom.

His hair is tasseled like he just woke up, but he's not wearing pajamas. He stands away from me cautiously like I'm going to explode. Which is fair, because I'm so mad that he woke me up that I can't even yell at him. I just glare at him, hoping he can feel the hatred I'm boiling inside of me. Though, I still do feel like smacking his stupid smirk off of his face.

"Are you going to tell me why you woke me up or not?" I question him harshly. I swing my legs around on the bed and grab some socks for my feet. I can feel Cole's gaze on me as I turn my back to rummage through my drawers.

"Not a morning person, huh?" Cole says quietly. I whip around and throw a pair of socks at him. To my satisfaction, it nails him in the face.

"Uh, ouch. Anyways, I have a surprise for you," He says with a big smile right as I turn back to him. I sit on my bed to put my fuzzy socks on.

"Cole," I whine. "Anytime before seven in the morning is way too early for surprises." I sit up and realize how awful I probably look. Why did he have to come in here? I reach over for a pillow and throw it at him. This time, he dodges it. The pillow drops to the floor.

"I'm starting to think you don't like surprises." Cole deadpans while picking up my pillow off of the floor and tossing it back on my bed. Idiot mistake. Now I have more ammo. "And before you throw that at me again, just look outside. You might like what you see."

Slowly I get myself off of my bed and move to my window. I squint my eyes as I open the blinds to see a snowy field. My eyes water at the bright outside. "It snowed? So?" I question. Cole stands behind me. It's hard to see what his 'surprise' is when all I can focus on is his breath blowing on my hair.

"You seriously don't see it?" Cole asks impatiently. I shake my head and look back at him. He gives me a look that makes me feel dumb. Or that I need glasses. Cole's hands go on either side of my head. He gently moves my gaze back outside. He then tells me to look harder and drops his hands from my face.

Movement sprints across the yard. My eyes immediately snap to it. I squint a little to make out what I'm seeing. It looks like a big animal. There are a few in the yard. One sits peacefully in the snow, and the other two do their best to eat what is left of the grass under the snow.

"Deer? Cole, there's deer in the yard all the time."

"Rose, those aren't just deer, those are reindeer," Cole responds.

My eyes widen and start to focus on the animals a little bit more. How did I not notice sooner? This is quite cool, I've never seen reindeer here before. I'm fascinated as I see them move. They are way bigger than other types of deep that are usually here. Their long dark coats are sprinkled with snow. The long antlers are also very impressive. I stare in awe at the beautiful creatures.

"You like them, don't you?" Cole asks from behind me. How could I not like them? They're such majestic animals. I nod and Cole continues, "Well good, because those reindeer are now yours."

My brows scrunch together at what he just said. I slowly turn around to face him. There is a feeling inside of me warning me that things are going to go downhill really fast. Coles's smile is no longer on his face and that worries me.

"What do you mean they're mine now? Those are wild animals?" I tell him with a confused laugh. I don't know if I find this amusing or if I'm nervous. Cole also looks nervous. He scratches his neck and looks off into the distance, thinking about what he's going to say next.

"Those aren't wild animals. You know those reindeer from the mall? The one you felt bad for?" Cole's words quickly fumble from his mouth. One sentence after another. Explaining that the deer in my yard right now are originally from the mall. My jaw drops as I put all the pieces together. I move past Cole to put some space between us.

"You stole the mall reindeer?" I hiss at him.

"Yeah, for you," A small, but nervous smile plays on his face.

I run my fingers through my hair. What are we going to do with these reindeer? They can't stay here, what if someone tracks them back here? There are too many risks to keep them here. They might not even know how to survive out in the wild since they've grown up in malls.

"Don't freak out. It was just a fun surprise." Cole reassures me. He sticks his hands out in front of him while I spin like a tornado through my room. I pace, I look out the window to see the stolen deer, and I pace again.

"That ship has sailed because I am very freaked out right now. Cole, what are we going to do with these stolen animals? We can't keep them here.

"Why shouldn't we keep them here?" Cole questions harshly. Why is he yelling at me for something he caused? His mouth opens again. "I thought you wanted to save the reindeer. You always say how you hate seeing them sad in that mall. I did this for you."

"Yes! Yes, you did do this. Thank you, by the way. Now, we have stolen deer here which we could get in trouble for. I don't think you realize how wrong this is," I spit at him. I try to control my breathing, but I'm too overwhelmed. This is not how I should be spending my winter break mornings.

"Rose," Cole says softly. "Everything will be alright, the deer will leave the yard soon and they won't be traced back to here. They probably won't even go looking for them. You shouldn't worry. Please don't worry.

I rub my face with my hands. One final deep breath is let out of me before I look back at Cole. Maybe everything will be fine. He's right, they will leave the and soon and have a good life somewhere else.

☃︎❅✧˖°・::。・::・゚.𖥔 ݁ ˖

How would you react in this situation? Was this worth overreacting to, or is it no big deal?

Have a good rest of your day, and please, vote/comment/share.