Long Time, No See

To the surprise of no one, Papyrus is the first to break the tense silence.

"AHEM!"

The overzealous skeleton takes one step closer to the unreadable knight at the opposite end of the yard. Their extensive sword is still pointed at the apprehensive trio.

"GREETINGS, ER... STRANGER! WHAT A WEIRD COINCIDENCE. YOUR DESCRIPTION EXACTLY MATCHES THE PERSON WHO..."

No matter how hard he tries to force the word: "killed" out of his mouth, alas, the great Papyrus is bested. A rare occurrence that won't happen again. Undeterred, he takes another step forward.

"Don't get too close..." Frisk warns Papyrus with unease, standing at their mother's side.

Toriel's right arm stretches out protectively in front of her child, anticipating whatever might follow.

If they came with the intent to harm, they picked the wrong family...

"I MAY NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED ON THE HIGHWAY," Papyrus says in a lighter voice. "BUT I AM SURE IT WAS SOME AWFUL MISUNDERSTANDING! FRET NOT, THE PATH AHEAD IS SIMPLE! SURRENDER YOURSELF, AND ME AND THE CHIEF WILL SEE TO IT THAT EVERYONE HAS THE CHANCE TO HEAR YOUR SIDE!"

"The chief..."

Their voice sends chills down Frisk's spine.

"...where is she now, Papyrus?"

A lack of skin doesn't stop the skeleton from blushing.

"WOWIE! I WASN'T AWARE I WAS THAT POPULAR! DON'T WORRY! THE CHIEF IS OUT ON POLICE BUSINESS, BUT SHE'LL BE BACK SOON!"

"I see. Thank you."

Had Frisk not been standing close enough to their skeletal friend, he'd be nothing more than the monster equivalent of ash. When the human slipped from their mother's protective grasp and tackled Papyrus, they both went down hard. By the skin of their teeth, neither of them were caught by the transparent, crimson line that breezed over their heads.

It grazes the fur on Toriel's ear, before crashing into the house behind her. The back door is blown inward, dispersing splinters of wood throughout the interior hallway. Most definitely a fatal attack.

All Frisk saw before it launched was the knight raising their sword to strike. Originally, they assumed it to be a normal bladed swing. However, it ended up being much more. Something that would've, without question, cut Papyrus in two.

"W- WHAT'S HAPPENING?!" Alphys screams from the living room.

"STAY INSIDE!" Toriel yells back, hurriedly dragging Frisk and Papyrus to their feet.

"I've borne witness to many worlds..." the knight says, staring solely at the human teenager regaining their bearings. "But your case is most interesting. Finally, some variety."

Content in knowing the others are uninjured, the boss monster turns to face the attacker. She joins her hands together, and on command, a rush of blinding flame beams out from her palms. The knight shields their face with one arm right as the righteous fire makes contact, encasing them in its burning purity.

"Papyrus, take Frisk and get inside!" Toriel commands.

Because of an expectation born from superstition, she's hardly surprised when her fire has next to zero effect against her armored opponent, who continues shielding against the intense heat.

"I'm not leaving you, Mom!!" Frisk cries over the powerful blast.

"JUST DO AS I SAY!" she roars, making the human jump back. "Please... you can't fight. Neither of you could ever hurt a fly."