▷ 9.3

The metal hooks of the hangers clashed against each other and the bar they hung on as Dara parted the pile and drew a cute cardigan

The metal hooks of the hangers clashed against each other and the bar they hung on as Dara parted the pile and drew a cute cardigan. With this, Page would look dapper. She whirled to find the girl hunkered over a glass case featuring watches with the characters from her favorite game emblazoned on the face.

Dara sighed and yanked the girl away by the shoulder, shoving the cardigan into her arms. "Wear that, will you?" she sniped, her patience thinning as the strands of her hair. If her charge continued to be like this, maybe she'd lose all of them someday. "And stop pouting at me. It's not going to work. You're not getting out of this until you look like a person."

Page threw her hands down and scoffed. "Why must we be here on a Saturday?" she whined. "I have homework."

"Trust me, love," Dara said, grabbing Page by the shoulder and turning her towards the direction of the fitting rooms. "Homework's the last thing on your mind."

Seemingly busted, Page stalked to the array of cubicles and held the cardigan over her original clothes. "Are you sure about this?" She whirled to Dara who stepped into place beside her. The mirror reflected Page, but Dara's figure was nowhere to be found. Her charge might still see her, but contractors weren't supposed to be perceived by anyone, even themselves.

"I look like a drab Christmas tree," Page continued, swinging the cardigan away and towards her bust. "Or a holiday reindeer. It's a million days until winter."

"Just try it on." Dara jerked her chin at Page. "You never know what will work unless you try."

Page frowned. "Why do I need new clothes?" she said. "I have plenty at home."

"And has anything you wore captured Jake's attention?" Dara prodded.

"I'm sorry, what does my clothes have to do with anything?" Page touched her chest as if offended. Well, she has every right to. Her fashion sense was all over. "What are we really doing here?"

Dara marched back to the store's displays, swiped a couple of dresses from the racks, and added them into Page's hands. "You are getting a fashion revamp, and you won't have any say about it," she said. "Got it?"

"Yes, but why?" Page inclined her head to one side, scratching the side of her face. She seemed fond of doing that when she was confused. "Jake isn't like the other guys. He doesn't care about fashion or flashy girls. All he cares about is games...and animated TV shows."

"Yes, so let's just accept the fact that he's not into you," Dara retorted, crossing her arms. "That makes it easier for the both of us."

"No. Easier for you, maybe." Page matched Dara's stance, defiantly raising her gaze into Dara's. "I love Jake, and if I have to make the first move, I should. Youth won't last forever, you know?"

"That is why we're out here, on a Saturday, trying on clothes you won't wear for some reason, so we can do exactly that." Dara waved her hands at Page's entire being to illustrate her point. "I'm on your side, Page. I want you to be happy as much as the next contractor, but you need to do as I say. And I say—wear those dresses and put the cardigan on top."