The injury of finally knowing you.

////A week later////

The weather is just as nice as last week. You walk into pop village with a small smile on your face just as always. You wave and say small hellos to trolls passing by. Something felt different today. You had an odd feeling that you weren't going to be in and out.

When you made it to your normal stall, you noticed someone leaning on a pole who isn't normally there. He was talking with the stall owner with a content smile on his face.

"Branch, I didn't actually expect to see you so soon." You say as you approach. The shop owner gets to work getting your groceries as normal. Branch turns his full attention to you.

"Y/n! Hi! I felt like we didn't meet on the best terms last week and I wanted to get to know you properly." He stood up from the pole he was leaning on and held his hands in front of him.

"Well, i blame Poppy for that. She dragged me out there without any warning." You chuckled and tilted your head. "You don't seem like the type to go out of your way to make friends, what's your deal?" You squinted at him a little.

"I felt like there had to be more of a reason other than you just being sarcastic and depressing that makes Poppy think we can be best friends. As much as i hate to admit it her intuition on that kind of stuff is really good." He looked around, you assumed to make sure Poppy didn't hear his compliment.

"I could say the same about you." You had also wondered what was different about him, although you weren't too keen on Poppy's intuition. Just as you were about to ask him what he thinks was going on with her, the pop trolls began another song. You weren't in the mood for that kind of stuff today. "I'll let you get to it then Branch, if you want to talk more you can find me here again next week." You grab your things and stuff them into your bag.

"I was actually hoping we could actually get to know each other." He grabbed one of your items and set it into your bag, making eye contact. He was smiling hopefully.

"Don't you want to sing with them, you are a pop troll aren't you?" You tilt your head.

"Yeah, but I'm not really in the mood today." He took your bag from you and threw it over his shoulder. "Let's go somewhere a little more private, yeah?"

You felt butterflies in your belly and your face warmed up a bit. This was the nicest anyone has ever been to you. Carrying your bag? Out of this world. You compose yourself. "Yeah, I'd like that." You smile at him.

Branch takes you to the top of a tree where a small platform is set. The sun is close to setting, but for some reason you dont mind as much as you did last week. Sitting on the edge of the platform you both let your feet hang over the side. The two of you begin with just simple questions. Favorite color, favorite animal, those kinds of things. But after a while of talking and the sun falling further to the horizon, Branch asks you,

"Why do you think Poppy wants us to be friends?" He turned his head from watching the sun set to look at your face. You meet his eyes for a moment then let them drop to your feet, you let the wind make them swing just a little.

"You seem kind of lonely, Branch." You started. His pupils dilated a bit. "Thats why I think she introduced us. Because we are lonely." The sun had fully set by now. Small lanterns and fireflies lit up the area around the two of you. Branch fiddled with his vest a little.

"I think you could be right." He muttered.

"Well, what about you? Why do you think she introduced us?" You turned your body towards him. He stayed facing forwards and messing with his vest. You had brought one leg up to the platform to face him better.

"I'm not sure if you could tell, but I'm kind of outcast from everyone else." He kept his eyes low. "And even though it seems to be by your own choosing, you are too. Which I guess is a roundabout way of saying we're both lonely. But i don't get why you're outcast. I was hoping maybe i could figure it out myself by talking with you today. But you're amazing, i don't understand why everyone is weird around you." He had turned to make eye contact with you.

You just stayed that way for a bit. Staring at each other, just trying to understand.

"You go first." You said with a soft smile. You moved your hand to lean on it. You tried to not seem flustered by his undivided attention being on you. "Why do you live away from the village, and what makes you say you're outcasted?" Before he said anything you hadn't even realized he was an outcast. Other than the fact that he lived away from everyone else.

"Have you heard about trolls losing their colors?" He started. You only nodded; you'd heard but never actually saw a colorless troll. He explained everything. How he used to be the butt of everyone's joke after his grandma had passed all the way to how he got his colors back. His attitude towards other trolls changed, but his pessimistic outlook on life hadn't changed as much. He was still at the end of everyone's joke.

"Oh, Branch. I'm so sorry." You had moved closer to him during his story, your hands only a few centimeters apart, though neither of you had noticed. He smiled gratefully at you but didnt say anything. You sat in silence for a while and let it set in.

"You know, any other pop troll would've started singing by now." He turned to you.

"Maybe that's because I'm not a pop troll." You said a little nervously. You were worried that once he knew that maybe he wouldn't want to be friends after all.

"What kind of troll are you then?" He questioned.

"I'm just a troll, Branch." He tilted his head at you, wordlessly urging you on. "I don't have a label. I love all music equally." You had turned your head away from him. Waiting for the awkwardness of him no longer wanting to be around you. But it never came.

"Is that really why you're treated differently? That doesn't make sense!" He grumbled, a little angrily. You met his eyes again and just shrugged.

"To be honest I don't understand it either. But I'm used to it now, so it doesn't bother me as much. I just get lonely without any friends." Suddenly you felt something on your hand. You looked down to see he had moved his hand over yours. He lightly moved his thumb back and forth.

"Thats not something that you should be used to. You shouldn't have to be alone just for liking all music. Thats ridiculous." He scowled while looking ahead of him. His cheeks a little darker than before. The fireflies making his eyes shine had you mesmerized. Even though he seemed angry, he still kept his hand gently placed on top of yours reassuringly.

You smiled at him; your eyes began to sting a little. No one had ever been this nice to you. Let alone hold your hand like this. You had just met this troll a week ago. You cant get too excited. The thought of a romantic relationship had long since left your mind when you were outcasted. You had grown used to the idea that you will forever be alone. Branch had changed the way you thought in a single day.

And out of nowhere, the sky started to brighten. You noticed how much chillier it was and how the lanterns had long been burned out. You stood up abruptly.

"Holy moly, I have to get home!" You grabbed your bag from the ground. And watched as Branch stood up and avoided eye contact with you. He played with his fingers nervously.

"I didn't realize we had talked all night. I'm sorry for keeping you out." He wore a small frown.

You furrowed your brows and smiled. You walked up to him and grabbed his hands and held them in front of you. "Don't apologize, thank you so much, Branch." You pulled him into a tight hug. He tensed up for a moment before he relaxed and hugged you back. You hadn't realized until now how good a genuine hug can be.

"So, next week?" Branch said pulling back. Keeping your hands in his. Both of your faces obviously a shade darker in the early morning light.

"I can't wait." You said, releasing his hands. He waved bye as you jumped from the platform using your hair to get to the ground safely.

After the long arduous walk, you fell flat onto your bed. A smile on your face and thoughts of a blue troll lulling you to sleep.