1

present day

Demaree slid his beats off to listen to his professor.

Demaree majors in journalism at 22. He attend Duke University in North Carolina.

"I want you guys to write a research paper on someone who was wrongfully convicted by the law. Simple as that. But, you know there's always a catch when i give you guys an assignment." he explained, making the class groan

"Who can tell me what wrongfully convicted means?"

"Wrongfully convicted means to be accused of a crime he or she didn't commit" said a girl in the middle row

"Correct. Well for this assignment, i want you guys to write a paper on someone who DID commit the crime but was wrongfully convicted for it"

The class grew with confusion on what the professor meant

Demaree raised his hand and proceeded to speak

"So basically write a paper about someone who committed a crime, was convicted for it but it was wrong..?"

"Correct. I won't explain it any further, i want you guys to stretch your brain!"

Some was left in the class confused, yet Demaree felt as if he had a light bulb above his head

——

Demaree sat at his island and looked up the name "Ky'mier Pierce"

Multiple articles came up making his eyes widen a little

Photos of her mugshot, her in court etc popped up.

"Ky'mier Pierce, 21, poisoned and stabbed her fiancé, Shone Wilson, to death approximately 36 times"

"Pierce claimed self defense but couldn't tell jury what Wilson was doing for her to poison and stab him."

Self defense is only justified if it's in the moment.

"Pierce showed no remorse for the crime she committed. It was clear Pierce wasn't stable in the mind."

"She was sentenced to 25 years in prison. Surprisingly 2 years later they found evidence of Shone Wilson abusing Pierce. Pierce claim Wilson killed their 4 month old daughter but it was lack of evidence. This got Pierce's time reduced significantly. She served 1 more year in prison and was released at the age of 24, yet she had to attend an mental institution for 90 days. The case was closed with little evidence of it being self defense, expect for Pierce's claims"

"Many says they're more to the story but following Pierce's release, she 'disappeared'. She didn't want to answer any more questions, she was just glad to be free"

Demaree went looking at many other articles and they all said the same thing. They were very vague with the information as if it wasn't any at all.

After a while of digging through articles, news reports, and interviews Demaree sighed knowing this wasn't enough for his research paper.

A light went off in his brain and he went searching for where he could find Ky'mier.

After a long time he came across a neighborhood. Luckily, she lived in North Carolina.

She formerly lived in Georgia.

"Well ..." he trailed off

———

"She gotta be in this shit" Demaree smacked his lips.

He's been from house to house and have yet to find Ky'mier