𝗼𝗻𝗲. 𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝘄𝗮𝗶𝘁𝘀

𝐉𝐀𝐖𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐑:

chapter one: TROUBLE AWAITS.

the car smells like smoke and I struggle to breathe

my luggage is filling the space around me and my butt hurts from the hours spent sitting.

Valerie closed her notebook with a mumble, earning a glare from her grandfather in the driver's seat as he coughed out the smoke from his lungs; further annoying the Belcourt girl.
"what?" the hoarse voice from the older man in front of her questioned with a frown.

"I can't believe my parents agreed to this!" she shuffled her feet awkwardly, hands crossed against her chest as she huffed and looked at the window.
France was so much different than the United States, it was warmer around this time of the year and more gloomy—towards the end of summer, that was.
either way, Valerie observed the people of the small town outside.
small children played outside with a soccer ball, teenagers walked around in duo's and groups as they laughed and the adults looked at them with eyes full of criticism.

"maybe if you didn't retort to violence then you could stay with your parents." her grandfather stated as he threw away his cigarette and mumbled something about his granddaughter being ungrateful.
"well, maybe if Sharon Williams hadn't said those awful things about me and my friends then we wouldn't have had a problem." Valerie clarified as she returned her eyes back to her grandfather.

"and anyways, making me go live on another continent and study in another mixed school is harsher than it should be for a fight and a few drinks." Valerie pouted.
her grandfather's red Simca 1501 pulled up into their manor. the Belcourts were known for being one of the richest people in the town, not moving someplace else for unknown reasons, perhaps they just couldn't be bothered and old. plus, this was what they knew their whole life; this was their big, structured shell.

˚ · • . ° .

two days had passed since Valerie Belcourt had reached the southwestern corner of France. she refused to leave her bedroom throughout the 48 hours of her own secluded purgatory.
however today there was no escaping, today was the first day of school in her new school. Voltaire High, a school that had just recently allowed for boys and girls to study alongside each other in order to be "modern". a waste of time, in Valerie's eyes who had studied in a coeducational school before.

either way, there would be no escaping her grandmother's wrath today. so all Valeire could do as her grandmother knocked on her door harshly was to close her eyes and pray that she'd not embarrass herself in front of the French kids, an inevitable cause, really. the french language twisted on her tongue and she frowned at the accent as she repeated simple phrases in the mirror and swiped some blush on her cheeks.
eventually she gave up and accepted her prolonged fate of misery and embarrassment.