𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲. 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗰𝗮𝗽𝗲𝗹𝘀

JAWBREAKER:

chapter five: THREATS AND SCAPELS

the events following the slap Valerie gave Joseph passed through a blur in her eyes

the events following the slap Valerie gave Joseph passed through a blur in her eyes. she was wet, cold and ashamed on the first day of school.  in her first week in another country.

she thought of writing her parents, telling them of what happened and see if she could move back to her house and into the arms of her best friend, Steven Miller. and that was settled, she'd write to him the second she got to her grandparents house, after all he was her confident.

Steven Miller was a peculiar boy, he was too tall and lanky for his age. he came from a poor family and studied through scholarships, he was awkward and most were weirded out by the boy with dark curls. he pushed away the advances girls made on him entirely, but no boys wanted him in their friendgroup either.
Valerie Belcourt saw that and sat down his table at lunch. she too pushed away any advances people made towards her, and so the two formed a strange duo.
Steven was tall and calm, too scared for confrontation.
Valerie was smaller and all she knew was rage and a fake polite manner, fists meeting someone's nose without a second thought and a straight posture.

but all the same, the two were born hungry.
they were hungry for knowledge, hungry for power, and hungry for food. Steven often wore the same ragged down shirts he often layered with an extra coat, his parents were sweet and hardworking so he could have the best. Valerie was discarded as cattle, her mother didn't work but instead reveled herself with drugs and parties. her father was behind every politician's words; he had them wrapped around his finger and he passed down his greediness for power to his only heir. because of her mother's revelries and her father's neglect Valerie often found herself helpless as to what to eat and clothe, up until she was 13 her ribs were prominent in her body and they were not for fashion.

Steven and Valerie looked after each other, that was their deal. Steven worked to be ahead of every class and he brought Valerie with him to the top, Valerie would go to war to defend her best friend's honor which was often made fun of. the two were each other's first kiss, where Steven realized he was a homosexual and all Valerie said once he confessed his homosexuality was "I'm that bad of a kisser, huh?" the two laughed and Steven felt relief in having his best friend unconditional support.

the memories vanished from her mind once her and Michele accompanied by their English teacher, Ms.Couret, made their way to the nurse's office—Michele's aunt. Valerie's reality seemed to fall down upon her and she frowned realizing where she was, she had Simone's dark blue cardigan covering her wet chest and the two adult women looked down with pity overflowing in their eyes as they looked at the two new students. Michele and Valerie shared a glance of mutual understanding of their situation, they were both embarrassed in front of their whole class.

there were no spare skirts in the nurse's office, there were pants and oversized shirts meant for boys. Mrs.Bellanger had left the room to tend to a student after a fight broke out, leaving the two friends in privacy.
Michele looked hesitant to try the pants given to her on, her lips were thin as she inspected it.