✗ CHAPTER SIX ✗

•───•⋆✩₊˚ ʚ♡ɞ ˚₊✩⋆•───•

We need to talk about what happened.
I'm outside your house
Delivered 8:48

I fixated on the messages glowing on my phone screen, my thumb tracing over the words repeatedly. Each passing second without a response felt like an eternity. "He's not reading my texts... he doesn't have any classes at the academy today either..."

The bitter cold gnawed at me, sending a chill through my body. I could sense the numbness creeping into my fingers, the unforgiving cold of the day biting through my jacket.

"Hey, Hongjoong!"

I glanced up from my phone and spotted Siyeon, Seonghwa's sister, making her way towards me. She always had this warm, comforting presence. As she approached, I noticed she was carrying several heavy bags. I quickly stepped forward to take one of them from her hands.

"Noona!" I greeted her, a smile breaking across my face as I hurried to meet her halfway in the driveway.

"What brings you here?" she inquired, her tone filled with curiosity.

"I came by to see Seonghwa, but he isn't home. Been waiting for him out here, but he's not responding to my texts."

"Huh? Seonghwa's home, actually. And I just spoke to him," she replied, a perplexed expression on her face. "Maybe he ignored the doorbell because he wanted to hog all the fried chicken for himself. Such a miser! Here, I'll let you in!" She swiftly entered the door code and ushered me inside.

"Hongjoong!"

Siyeon's voice snapped me back to attention. I stammered, "I-it's okay, noona. I'll just come back later."

Her inviting response cut through my reluctance. "Oh, there's no need for that. Come in and eat with us."

Without a second thought, I pushed the plastic bag I was holding into her hands and dashed out of the driveway, hearing Siyeon call after me, "Hongjoong!"

Why did I think that he was going to be okay with this?

Of course he was going to hate me for it.

I was so worried about what people might say if they found out, but...

... I thought that Seonghwa... would be different. That he would be fine with it... maybe even understanding.

That's why I thought I could rely on him...

My steps slowed to a stop beneath the soft, amber glow of a streetlamp. I gazed upward, captivated by the speckled canvas of stars above me, my breath visible in the crisp air.

Still...

... if you can't even accept me for who I am, then you shouldn't have said...

... that you liked me...

... and how you wished things would never change.

... if our friendship didn't really mean anything to you... if you were going to turn your back on me so easily...

I couldn't help the tears that flooded out.