Chapter 22 - Family

Out of the city walls of Stormhill...

Peter, Riken, Rowan, Penelope, and Violet wore cloaks to mask them as regular citizens. Unbeknownst to the rest of the citizens, they were the children of good King Aspen and good Queen Silvana and heirs to their parents. As they walked through the busy streets of the city looking for fruits and veggies to help prepare the cooks their favorite meals, roast. Although, each of them felt a pang of regret as their sister, Isadora, was not with them to pick the best of carrots. 

"She always picked the best," said Violet to her older sister, Penelope. Pen took her hand and put it in hers and looked at her giving her comfort. Twins, Rowan and Riken, looked back and then at each other as if asserting that their other sister was and should be ok. Peter strayed in the back of the pack, listening intently. 

He sighed, thinking, I know you are ok out there Isa. I prayed to Omni, to follow and guide you to your betrothed.

They carried their produce while looking around the plaza for small trinkets. At the plaza center, trumpets sounded that an informer from the castle will be making an announcement. The siblings looked at one another, Peter advised for them to stay a bit back from the rest of the crowd, "Stay back, we may have to head back before the citizens disperse."

They pulled their cloaks on tighter as the announcer let the trumpets finish, he took a scroll out and read: 

"To the good people of the Kingdom of Buccina,

As of today, the Year 307, I High King Daemon Buccina, King of the Free Peoples, Enslaver of the Unicorns, and Father to All do make this proclamation:

Upon further investigation and deliberation, the Kingdom of Ceasar is to be held under suspicion for the assassination of the good Queen Caecilia. For this, we hope the current Ceasar, his family, and his court party turn themselves over, without any difficulties.

If they so much as refuse or decide not to appear before me, the High King, in 6 months time...the Kingdom of Buccina will have no choice but to be forced into war with the Kingdom of Ceasar.

For this, the High King also demands two children over the age of six and ten per family in service to the crown. Failure to do so will result in a 300 uni payment or 3 months in jail.

Also, a 30% tax has been updated.

We understand that times are hard, but times will get harder. Trust in your High King to do the best to keep us all safe and prosperous.

Your good King,

Daemon of Buccina

This decree will commnce as we speak."

The announcer stepped down the center with the roll and posted it on the board.

Each sibling looked at each other, "He wears the colors of the capital," said Rowan looking at each of his siblings in shock.

Peter gulped, "We have to get back to the castle." 

Penelope left her mouth open in shock, she made a sound as if to start speaking but right then the people started yelling and clamoring. They too were in shock, but the more she looked at each of them the more her heart started to pound as if crying out with them. Soon enough, the people started to mob. She could hear her heart in her ears, "Pen! We must leave," Peter touched her arm to guide her.

Someone in the mob started shouting vulgarities, "Pen, now!" shouted Peter to cover his sister. They made their way back to the small black coach that was hidden in the coverage of the woods behind the plaza. Inside they were all panting from running. The shouting from the mob, turned into full on screaming and clamoring from loyal citizens that have lived in the city for generations.