The Rescue

-YES! After a 2 year hiatus, this book is BACK!-

-sorry this part is so short, but it's really hard getting back into this book-

"This is weird." Jade sneered down as she boarded the ship. "It's so... fleshy."

"Do you want to help or not?"

"Yeah yeah," She helped herself to a seat. "Did you find out where they got deaged?"

"Near a warehouse in New Jersey," Roy replied, "I think I can fly this thing there."

"You think?"

"Give me a break, I'm trying!"

"Good little children, doing all their tests so bravely." Mother cooed, leaning over the exhausted toddlers.

"I'm hungry." Wally murmured.

"You can wait like a big boy, can't you?" She said. "First we need to ask you some important questions...." The six stared up at her. Robin began to fuss and Kaldur hurried to comfort him. "What are your mentors names?"

"Can't say." Artemis replied. "Secret."

"Come on, you can tell mother."

"No!" Conner stomped, covering his ears.

"Don't you raise your voice, number three." She said coldly. "You're already purchased, we just need a little information before your new daddy takes you home. 

"NO!"

"He's right. We can't say." Kaldur explained.

"Little number six, you've been reserved now too, your parents all want to take you home, so won't you be good for me?"

He reluctantly shook his head. "Can't say."

"Fine." She straitened out. "I'll come see how you feel later, when you've had a snack."

"Here."  Roy stood. "I don't know what they're doing in there, but we'd better be careful."

"I can usually get in from the roof." Jade said. "Come on."

The Duo found a grappling hook and some rappelling gear in the back of the ship and, after creeping under the fence, they shot the hook up the wall. Roy went first, not trusting Jade to not cut the rope on him.

The two tracked across to the roof's door.

"Stand back."

"Are you shitting me? You can't kick the door in, you idiot!" She rifled around in her pockets, removing some picking tools. "You just try to be quiet."

Roy made an offended noise.

Kaldur was hesitant of the cookies, he'd eaten them before under Mother's pressure, but he was starting to doubt the integrity of her offering  food.

"No eating." He told the others as the guard set the plate down.

"But..." Wally stared longingly at the platter.

"No eating." Kaldur repeated. "I need to see why..."

"Why what?" M'gann asked. 

"She wants us to eat."

It wasn't too hard to take out a couple guards. The two young adults busily stripped them down, donning the uniforms themselves.

"Well you look the part, don't you little arrow?" Jade teased.

"We need to find the kids."

Mother stormed into the room. "Why aren't you eating?"

"Why should we?" Kaldur asked cautiously.

She scowled, matronly image breaking. She quickly composed herself. "Come now, you need your snack. Don't you like my cookies?"

"What is in them?" Kaldur replied, passing Robin off to M'gann, who squeaked excitedly at holding the baby.

"I wanna go home." Conner piped up.

"You won't want to once you've had your cookies." She grabbed one. "Come on sweetie, open up."

Conner softened at the pet name and kind tone, but braced himself. He trusted Kaldur more. "No!"

Her face soured. "Eat them, or you won't eat anything else!"

Conner didn't like being threatened, and neither did Artemis. "No!" The duo chorused, stomping.

"I want to go home!" Conner stormed to the shattered mirror and hit it, ripping the shatterproof film off the frame. 

The nursery opened up onto a stage, surrounded by empty chairs.

"NO!" Mother shouted. "Stay where you are! Time out!"

But the children were already moving, Conner's will to escape and Kaldur's caution deafening them to her shout as the other children raced after their friends.

"Human cure is done!" Oliver burst into the mountain. "Star labs worked crazy OT getting this out."

"Thank god!" Barry sighed, "Anything on the others?"

"They're working on something that can be injected for the tadpole and martian."

"And Conner?" Dinah demanded of her boyfriend.

"Soon enough. We just need to find the kids."

Glass shattered somewhere nearby.

"What was that?" Roy breathed.

The two took off in the direction of the sound, terrified of what they might find.

Jade tripped. "Ow! Fuck!"

The thing she'd tripped over looked  up. "Jady?"

"Alice?" She dropped too her knees, scooping the baby up. "Alice! Oh thank god!"

"Guys!" Roy stepped aside as the children shot out into the hallway. "Are you--"

"RUN!" Wally shouted. 

M'gann, who was both floating and holding Robin, held him out. "Take robin!"

Roy took the baby without question, grabbing Kaldur up with his free arm. "Let's go."

"YOU TWO!" A woman shouted from behind them. "Bring them back!"

"No." Roy took off, Jade and the other kids on his heels. Conner had a hard time keeping up with Wally and the adults, so M'gann scooped him off the ground and carried him. "This way!" The redhead cried, ducking into the stairs. "Quick!"

They stumbled and tripped up the concrete stairs, floor after floor, barely bothering to breath as sweat seeped through their clothes. They got onto the roof. 

"YOU!" Jade shouted. "Alien, call your ship!"

M'gann set Conner on the edge of the building and closed her eyes, concentrating. "Here girl..." 

There was a woosh as the bioship rushed up to the building. The gangway slid out.

"IN!" Roy ordered. He set the kids on the floor and took the captain's seat, ordering M'gann to sit on his lap.

Guards began pouring onto the rooftop, just as the ship took off.

-VIVA PALESTINE donate to PCRF-