Chapter Eighteen: Sypher...

Sypher staggered under the weight of the half-Orc, grunting at the arms thrown around his neck. Edward squeezed hard enough to make his bones creak in protest.

"Thank the Creators!" he gasped into Sypher's shoulder. "If you're here, Sorrel and the others made it to Eden."

"Yes they did." The Angel pulled back and frowned at Edward. "But you all should have been with them." He turned to look out over the barricade erected around the inn. A thousand dead-eyed stares gazed back. On the ground, it suddenly felt like there were a lot more of them.

"If we left with them, there'd be nothing to distract the dead." Edwards eyes were filled with tears. "You understand how it has to be when the people you love are at risk."

Sypher nodded, sighing at the ground. Edward had long since harboured affection for Sorrel, even before her husband died. "Sorrel and her daughter will be safe behind Eden's walls. You'll see them again," he promised.

Before Edward could say anything else, the Soul Forge turned to the meagre army Kilmarthen had assembled. They were strong, obviously used to working the surrounding farms, but only a few had seen battle.

"Everyone stop," he barked over the noise of a thousand feet churning in the mud beyond the shuddering wall. The men and women froze. "How many of you know how to use a weapon." Every hand went up. "How many of you have killed a demon?" Three hands remained in the air, including Edward's. Sypher turned his gaze on a red haired woman with thick arms and a fierce stare. "You. How many of you are there?"

"Thirty," she replied.

"Divide yourselves into units of ten. The three who have killed before will lead each unit. If you want to live, you listen to me. Is that understood?" A chorus of agreements sounded. "Gather every bit of flammable liquid you can find. Every spirit, every barrel of oil, any explosives if you have them."

"We stored the defensive materials in the inn cellar," Edward piped up. "In case we had a demon attack and you couldn't get here in time."

"Get every last one of them out. Take your unit to help." Sypher turned and located the red head again. "What's your name?"

"Merridwen."

"Merridwen, take your unit and check the barricade for weak spots." He looked to the last unit leader. "Name?"

"Cedric," the meaty blonde man replied.

"Take your people and follow her. The barrier has to hold."

"And what will you do?" Merridwen asked, balancing her war hammer across her shoulders.

"Something stupid, most likely," Sypher replied. "Go." They nodded and ran to their stations. He took a deep breath and climbed to the top of the only shed still standing within the barricade, surveying the crowd of corpses. "Hephaestus, if you can hear me, I need something. Anything," he pleaded softly. "These people deserve to survive, and without my magic I can't keep them alive." The silence that echoed back at him was a punch to the gut. He nodded slowly. "Guess I'm on my own then."

Ember swept down and snatched him off the shed at his signal, banking left as he walked up her spine and found his seat.

We are together.

"We are." He patted her neck.

If you will not leave these people to their fate, then we shall stay together.

"Just make sure you eat me before I turn. Malakai getting hold of me as a mindless slave is worse than branding me with a rune."

I will grind you to paste for getting us killed, she promised, a hint of rueful humour in her tone. What is your plan?