9. Red

That night both the youngsters had cuddled and slept peacefully.

Or so what they thought about each other.

Even with their eyes closed, there were billions of scenes, incidents, overthinking thoughts that were being played in front of their eyes. The heaviness of their heart was unexplainable. They would have preferred a thousand stabs in their body rather than the situation they both were going through.

The irony was that even with closed eyelids, they didn't even get a blink of sleep that night.

************************************

"Inn dono ko kya hua hai? Subah se dekh raha ho.. bahut dukhi aatm jaise lag rahe hai" Hardik commented to Rohit at the breakfast table.

This behaviour did not go unnoticed by the captain. He did shrugged it off in the morning when he had greeted them both but the two had gave a very painful smile and just bowed their heads in greeting.

Ishan, who everyone knew was a great foodie had also taken so less of the breakfast. And Shubman's favourite pancakes, didn't even look half appetising to Shubman today.

"Ishu, Shubu.. kya hua hai? All good na? Tum log kya wapas jagade ho kya?" Rahul asked.

Bumrah and Virat, also stopped chewing their food, eyes widened as Rahul openly addressed the elephant in the room.

Ishan and Shubman were stunned at the question that was raised at the table. 'They were acting different.. weren't they" both of them thought

Ishan smiled and then put a hand on Shubman's chair. With great fake convincing tone he spoke, "Arey bhaiya yeh Shubman hai na.. isko apne family ki bahut yaad aa rahi hai. So subah se down hai. Aur kuch nahi.. Hai na Shubman?" Ishan faked a smile and looked at Shubman. His eyes giving it away, that Shubman had to continue the lie.

"Haa bhaiya.. just thoda homesick hu.. Ishan is right." Shubman spoke and that stuffed his mouth a big piece of pancake as he smiled and chewed.

All team mates nodded in relief as they considered their fake story as the truth.

Except Siraj.. who was stunned at the conversation
'Did they address themselves by their names and not nicknames?!' He thought

************************************

Since today was their last day of the trip, all the teammates had decided to just visit nearby tourist spots and night they decide to call it a night by enjoying the camp fire.

All the team mates had gone to different shops to buy some or the other things for their family or friends as a sovereigns.

At one particular shop, Ishan noticed a beautiful bracelet. A black bracelet to be specific with an evil eye symbol. Ishan immediately thought of Shubman. As he remembered Shubman's bracelet had broken during one of their practice matches, and Shubman was highly upset, since it was gifted by his sister.

Ishan, without giving a thought brought the gift and kept safely in his upper shirt pocket.

On the other hand, Shubman was busy admiring a beautiful black and blue neck bandana. It immediately reminded him of Ishan. Those were Ishan's favourite colours, and Ishan loved to wear some accessories around his neck when he wears casual shirts. Shubman also brought the beautiful neck bandana. And safely kept it in his back pocket.

The duo thought it would be a fresh start to their friendship... but how wrong were they. How wrong were they  to even think that returning back to being friends after being that intimate has never worked out, and the history was always proving this judgement.

As Ishan left his shop, he looked out for Shubman. He noticed Shubman just exiting other shop and was about to walk towards him when a stranger tapped Shubman's shoulder and soon both of them greeted and hugged.

Ishan was utterly shocked, 'Who is he! And how dare he touch my shubi!' He thought and soon he saw both them laughing heartedly.

And soon Ishan walked towards them, red fire flaring in his eyes. The attitude of his walking style, scared a few passer bys as he paved his way towards his Shubman.

On the other Shubman was enjoying the company of his childhood friend, Abhishek as they were catching up on many things.

Suddenly Shubman felt a hand on his waist and was actually frightened but the familiar warmth of those fingers relaxed him. He would even recognise on his death bed.

Ishan gave a very fake smile with his teeth on full display to Shubman and said "I was looking for you everywhere Shubi.. and see what- oh hello, I didn't see you there" Ishan acted surprised seeing Abhishek.

Abhishek, quite oblivious to Ishan's fake greeting just smiled widely and shook Ishan's hand. The latter gave a very firm grip, almost painful but Abhishek just smiled.

Shubman didn't know how to react and so he awkwardly just introduced the two. "Abhishek this is Ishan. Ishan this is my childhood friend, Abhishek"

"What childhood friend Mann. I'm his bestie, langotiya yaar hai ye mera" Abhishek replied and gave a very loud clap on Shubman back. Ishan raised his left eyebrow and with a fake sweet tone replied "Ohh... Nice to meet you. I never have heard SHUBI talking about you, so I was a little surprised. My bad"

Shubman was shocked. His usually bubbly and sweet friend was now being sarcastic af. But only he could notice it, Abhishek just laughed it off.

Ishan not want to wait any longer for a convo just said "Nice to meet you, but I have to leave, Siraj bhai has asked to buy some things. And Shubi.." Ishan towards Shubman. Ishan looked at him intently for a second and gave a sarcastic smile and said "Come fast, love" and left but not before lightly gliding his hand over Shubman's arm.

Now, even Abhishek's eyebrows were also raised in suspicion. "Does he act like that only?" Abhishek asked, with genuine curiosity.

Shubman just shrugged it off and said "Usually not, par pata nahi aaj kya hua"

They both left the topic and walked away.

But, Ishan who had walked away earlier, had silently camouflaged himself in the crowd as he saw the duo walking and talking. If looks could kill, Abhishek would have been 6feet under the ground.

He just wanted this break to end fast. He didn't know how much longer he could hold his feelings in for his 'bestfriend with whom he shared a kiss'

———————————————————

Damn.. we love a jealous Ishan don't we?

A short chapter but hopefully you guys enjoyed it!

Also special thanks to @sowhoistop for being such a sweetheart and always motivating me with her beautiful and encouraging comments❤️🥹🫶🏼

Pls ignore my mistakes and vote , comment and share my story!

Byee byee sweeties💙💛🌼🙌