Alternative reality

Max walks next to Chloe as they stroll down the path next to the beach.

Chloe: It's weird hanging out with you again.

Max: I know... I'm glad we are, though.

Chloe: It was nice that you sent me actual letters. That's more than any of my other friends have done... And you even wrote on that cool parchment paper. That's so Max.

Max: So pretentious. But I love writing on it, like an English poet. You deserve the best stationery.

Chloe: Probably easier to write than to visit me. I don't mean that in a bitchy way. Not totally. You probably wanted to avoid awkward conversations like this.

Max: Uh...pretty much, yeah.

Chloe: Look, the worst thing you can do is treat me like a baby. I still want to laugh and talk shit with my best friend. Can we stop? This is seriously the best view of the sunset. What do photographers call that?

Max: "The golden hour."

Chloe: See? Without you here, I'd have no clue. Bet you could take some amazing shots... Those beached whales are so sad. I kind of know how they feel... At least I'm alive here with you.

Max: You're a real survivor, Chloe. I know you have to deal with so much.

Chloe: I don't want anybody else feeling sorry for me. I can do that...along with my parents. My dad still feels guilty about buying me that car.

Max: Are you okay to talk about the accident?

Chloe: We never actually have, huh? There's not much to say. Some prick in an SUV cut me off and I flew into a ditch.

Max: Do you...remember everything?

Chloe: I saw everything in bullet time. I felt my back snap and... And that was the last thing I ever felt in my body. When I woke up in the hospital, I literally couldn't move a muscle.

Max: Jesus! I...I don't know what to say.

Chloe: Don't say anything. I'm just happy I did get to see you again. I'm sorry about isadora, max, i can't even imagine how you feel

Max: i don't even know what happened.

Chloe: I'm not entirely sure myself, but my family is praying for you

Max: thank you chloe, how are you feeling, I know you and Dora were really close

Chloe: im managing but i hope she is..

Max: kicking it somewhere safe

Chloe: yeah, i hope so

Max: This is such a different world than when we were kids, isn't it...

Chloe: After that snow and eclipse, it's more like the end of the world.

Max: Do you think so? I haven't kept up with the details.

Chloe: I have more time on my hands than you... Plus I'm a science nerd. But none of this makes sense.

Max: I know things seem out of control, but...as long as we're together, I don't feel afraid.

Chloe: Hanging out with you makes me feel like a total kid again. You don't even know...

Max: Listen, Chloe...I'm sorry I haven't been out to see you more. That was wrong. You're my best friend.

Chloe: Max, thanks for coming out to see me. You're...you're doing awesome.

Max: I don't think so.

Chloe: Um. My...my nose is getting cold. Maybe we should get back to my place.