-Chapter 1-

Adrien landed hard on the ground. He looked up and his vision was still blurry, but he could make out the shape of a person moving towards him. He stood up slowly, his back aching from the rough landing. The fuzziness that obstructed his view finally cleared and he found himself staring at himself across the room. He jumped back, screaming, and tried to steady himself using a chair, but found that his hand went right through the wood. How could it be? The man he was looking at wore his face and had his body, but he could tell by the clothes he wore and the way he walked that he was not watching himself. The man moved towards him and Adrien trembled, unsure of what was going to happen next. "Who are you? Where am I?" Adrien said, trying to sound confident. The man reached out his arm, and grabbed a phone from the table beside him. Adrien thought for a moment that maybe the man could not see him. He shivered at the realization. Was he a ghost now? What was he doing there?

He put his hand in his pocket and he felt the tip of his fingers brush against something. Drawing it out from his pocket, Adrien realized it was a folded piece of paper, and he opened it, realizing there were words neatly scripted onto the page.

Adrien. You have a special mission to complete before you can reach the light. You are one of the three doppelgangers. You must find the other two and  kill them. You have one year.

Adrien reread the note three times in disbelief and then crumpled it back up into his pocket. He looked up at the man who looked exactly like him; he was still on his phone. Was the man his doppelganger? Was that why they looked exactly alike? He started breathing heavily and felt his heart pounding under his skin. Wait. I'm supposed to kill him? He shoved the thoughts out of his head, and tried to forget what he just found.

Suddenly, another voice broke the silence. "Hello?" he heard someone say quietly from behind him. It was a young girl with long, curly brown hair and blue eyes. She had to have been around 6, because she was less than half his height. "Oh, hi there... who are you?" he asked her softly, trying to understand how this ghost thing worked... why this little girl could see him, but the man couldn't? "My name is Maia," she said shyly, twirling a curl around her finger, "Have you seen my daddy?" He pointed to the man and asked if he was her father. She shook her head. Adrien reached out to grab her hand, and found that his hand did not go through her. Did that mean... no. "Why are you here?" he asked her. She looked scared, and he didn't know what to do. He had never been good with kids. "A big scary man sent me here," she said, "He had wings and he glowed." Adrien remembered the angel-like man who he had seen before, and realized what this meant. She was dead too. He suddenly felt the urge to cry.