VI.

𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖊𝖋

ONCE ARGUS DROVE THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRYSIDE AND ONTO THE HIGHWAY,  Phoenix tucked away her sketchbook to stare out the window. Her eyes were fixed on the world beyond it, a subtle intensity in her eyes. Every movement and shadow was analyzed with precision.

Her eyes were narrowed, and a seriousness played on her face. She stared at every Fast food restaurant, every kid in the back of a parents' car, every billboard, gas station, and shopping mall.

She felt the eyes that glanced at her but didn't care to pay them any mind as she absorbed the outside world. The others didn't know if she was on the verge of pouncing out the window to kill a random bird or if she was just genuinely curious. Her intentions were shrouded, but it left her quest mates curious and captivated by the silent intensity of her watchful gaze.

"So far so good," Percy told them. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

Annabeth hissed from behind them, she leaned forward, her head popping in between the two, and gave Percy an irritated look. "It's bad luck to talk that way, Seaweed brain." Her irritation with Percy echoed through the car, and Phoenix, still wrapped in silent observation, absorbed the discordant energy.

"Remind me again—why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Could've fooled me."

"Look...we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?"

She sighed. "How many reasons do you want? They competed during Odysseus's journey home from the Trojan War, each trying to influence his fate. Poseidon wanted him dead, if it weren't for my mother Odysseus might have never returned home to Ithaca. Not to mention their contest for the patronage of the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city after her."

"They must really like olives."

Phoenix listened to them argue in her ear. She didn't involve herself in the exchange, but the subtle twitch of her eyebrow hinted at a growing agitation. The daughter of Eris felt the discordant waves emanating from the argument, and her gaze shifted from the passing scenery to the pair who bickered behind her.

"Oh, forget it."

"Now, if she'd invented pizza—that I could understand."

"I said, forget it!" She exclaimed,

Phoenix decided to break her silence then. "Trojan War. The apple," she interjected, her voice carrying an edge that seemed to cut through the argument.

Annabeth caught off guard, turned her attention to Phoenix. "What's the apple of discord got to do with this?"

"Competition," Phoenix replied tersely. "Eris's golden apple. The catalyst. Discord. Rivalry. Like your parents. Like olives and saltwater springs."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to say something?"

Phoenix glanced at her, monotone as ever. "Just pointing out patterns. Conflict breeds chaos. And chaos, well, it's my thing. Athena and Poseidon's rivalry goes beyond olive trees and saltwater springs," Phoenix said, her gaze still fixed on the passing landscape. "Ever heard of the Trojan War?"

"Er—I know about the horse?"

Annabeth's irritation shifted to confusion as she frowned at the back of Phoenix's head. "Yes but What's that got to do with anything? They only fought during Odysseus' return home."