2: 2231

January 6, 2231

It's been exactly one year since the first explosion, so Mom says that we will finally be able to go outside in a couple months, but we're going to wait until winter is over so there isn't any snow! I'm really exc-.. WHAT WAS THAT!? It was so loud!! It knocked me out of my chair!! We are DEFINITELY not going outside this yeA oww.. It happened again!! It was like a shock wave just came right through the walls of the bunker!! Let me get my book. Luckily, our bunker came with books on all sorts of disasters, natural and man-made! Ok. Here's my book on explosions and bombs. It says, "After a bomb, there will be a shock wave. Depending on the size of the bomb, the shock wave's size will also change. If there is a bomb over your bunker, you will feel the shock wave, as if it was a wave of air rippling through at high speeds. When you feel a shock wave, there will, most likely, be a second a few minutes later." Well I guess that's all true! Hopefully, there aren't any more bombs close by, those shock waves are terrible! I swear it's knocked me out of my chair twice! Let me see is there any way to avoid or predict the shocks? "Shocks can be predicted in a way, but will not always work, as they can be false alarms. When you start to feel one, it can help to get down and lay on the floor to avoid falling." Well that would be helpful! Hang on I feel one! Well at least it worked I guess. I mean it just means that we definitely won't be going out anytime soon.

May 17th, 2231

There's been a couple more shocks over a couple months, but it's been pretty quiet otherwise around here. One report was made saying that South America had a huge earthquake the other day. Some people in the US even felt it! Now to address food and water and such, we're still doing well, but I think if we aren't out by the end of the year, it may start to get a little scarce if our crop grower doesn't work. The shocks aren't slowing down though, there's about 1 or 2 per week. We've lost track of what day it is though, so I'm not sure if it's the weekends or the weekdays! The only thing about the crop grower is that it takes a lot of water. My parents are debating going into the stone to maybe find a doing of water outside the bunker. Since the bunker is underground we wouldn't have to go above. The only worry for me is, what if it collapses while they're mining? I would not want to go out there where a bomb could land on my head and I could very well die. The ONLY upside to not having other people around, is there would be more food. But I think there would actually be too much food so never mind.

August 29, 2231

The crop grower has started working because I think that if we still want to eat next year, we will need crops to put in our garden once we get above. We will need to grow the crops because I don't think there will be anything above to grow or eat. There are fewer shocks, and they are smaller so I think the shocks will be gone soon. We only have about 2 or 3 per month so that's an improvement! Mom says that since halloween is in a month, and since we don't have candy, if we can find the big sugar storage we can make something special!!!

October 27, 2231

We found the sugar!! Now we can make mom's famous crystallized honey taffy! Mom was an inventor-chef while we were above and her most famous creation is crystallized honey taffy. It's very simple, if you can get clean snow. And you may have to wait until your honey is crystallized. You can also replace sugar with maple syrup, but we don't have any. Step 1. Melt your sugar in a pot. While the sugar is cooking, get your clean snow, put it on a baking sheet. Step 2. Once the sugar is done, pour about 2 tablespoons on your snow, then put some honey crystals, and even better, some honey, then cover it with more melted sugar! Step 3. Let it cool a couple seconds, then peel off the snow and eat!

We get our snow from the freezer and our snow generator all year round, but (if the world recovers) you will probably have to wait until winter.