Chapter 19.

Ember's POV

It was Sunday night, and my day was slowly coming to an end. I spent all morning working, but the afternoon was surprisingly spent with Jake. Other than having another movie date, we decided to grab something to eat. It was getting late, which is why he was sadly already driving me home.

The whole time, I kept debating whether I should put my heart fully into this relationship or keep my walls up. It is Jake Long, who I am talking about here. I never, not once, saw myself actually feeling any other type of emotion other than hate towards him. Sometimes, I still question myself whether these feelings are real or if they're just a part of a game.

Jake parks the car outside the trailer park —  just like he always does. I don't even get a chance to thank him for the ride before he steps out of the car. I guess by this point, I should be used to it. He's made it a habit to open my doors every chance he gets, but I'm not complaining because I love it.

As he opens my door, I grab my bag and phone with me. Jake extends his hand out for me to take, and I gladly do. He helps me step outside the car, and I laugh as he immediately pulls my body into his.

Jake doesn't let go, but it's not like I want him to. Instead, I gently place my hands on his shoulders and look into his hazel eyes. They were filled with amusement. I was able to tell that he enjoys this as much as I do. His arms wrap around my waist, and without hesitation, he gently kisses me.

Ever since I told him that he doesn't need to ask every time he wants to kiss me, he's become a little more brave with leaning in and pressing his lips on mine. I don't mind. I love it. I can't hide the excitement and warmth I feel every time he does. I can't hide how much I want him to kiss me.

As we pull our lips away from one another, we stay smiling like idiots. I wasn't sure what came over me when I asked, but it might've been the fact that I didn't want to say goodbye just yet. "Do you want to walk me to my house?"

Logan would never walk me. He was always so terrified that we'd get caught, and I didn't blame him. I felt scared as well, I didn't want my mom or Luis to catch me with anyone new. There's just something about Jake that makes me feel brave. It might be because he's always been the number one person to challenge me in life. It was for stupid little things here and there, but my bravery that grew because of him was still there. I no longer felt scared if I got caught with Jake outside the house.

Jake seemed surprised by the question, but soon, that turned into something I could only describe as acceptance. "Yeah, I'd love to."

Jake and I let go of one another. He slips his hand into mine, and I gladly allow it. Our fingers intertwined, and I can tell he feels what I feel. This all seems like a dream because I can't believe I'm allowing myself to fall completely head over heels for Jake Long.

We walk next to one another, slightly bumping into each other and fooling around. I feel happy. I find it hard to believe and even harder to admit, but I actually feel happy. Jake was to blame for my awfully good mood, but it all seemed way too good to be true.

We turn right on the second turn and walk down the small, narrow street until the end of the road. My house stood there. I stop a few feet away from it. I don't want to be right in front of the house, just in case my Mom was waiting for me.

I look at Jake as he glances over at the small place I call home. I always worried he would find out how I lived because I thought I would hear endless teasing about it. So him being here, standing outside my house, was so surreal.

Jake slowly looks down to meet my gaze, and a small smile spreads on his lips. I never once thought this guy would be standing here and actually be understanding about the way I live. It's no palace, but it's home.