Part 2

The video played again for the god knows how many time, and all I could do was sit there and stare at it. I should have seen the signs. I could have done so much more. I'm a terrible person, and I don't know how to make what I've done wrong right. And that hurts so much.

"Are you alright?" I asked, laughing to myself. Valt had just told me a joke. I can't remember what. But the way he acted should have been a warning sign. It was obvious that something wasn't alright. And yet we chose to ignore it every single time.

"Yes." He replied. No one could hear the screams of his internal cries. He thought there was no hope and no faith left to give; felt like there was no reason and no purpose for his soul to live. How could they take this boy, and make him feel secure? Then go grab their mates and make him feel impure? Cause he became damaged forever, and his thoughts were stained. With every memory we gave him we should be ashamed.

"Put it away, Shu." Lui said, taking my phone away from me. He gave me a sympathetic look. "I understand that you're grieving, but you can't carry on like this. It will kill you."

"What do you know about grieving? You're a heartless monster." It was a harsh thing to say, especially considering he had just confessed his love to me and then went to the other end of the clearing to give me some space and time to think. I still don't know what to make of it, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'm pretty sure I said that last time, or at the very least thought it, and then kinda just ignored the problem. Ignored my feelings. But, in my defence, at the time there were much more pressing matters than whether I liked the guy I once so openly hated. "I-I'm sorry..."

"No, it's fine. I know you're going through a lot right now. I couldn't imagine how it feels to be in your position. It must hurt like hell. And lashing out like this is normal." He almost sounded like an expert in the field. He's probably dealt with this before. Now I really seem like a heartless monster. Amazing. That's just what I wanted. I just feel so lost. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

"Hey, Lui?" He hummed in response, his eyes on me, and I almost choked on my words. "Please stop being so kind to me. I don't deserve your kindness. I'm a monster."

"Are you now?" He was suddenly disinterested in the conversation, getting Luinor out of his pocket and turning him around in his hand. "Since when? Last time I checked you were still you. A person who feels a lot more than he cares to let on. But, what do I know? I barely know you. Maybe I can ask the hyperactive shrimp what he thinks of you. He's one to always see the best in you, though. Maybe the emo looking kid will give me an honest opinion."

My eyes wandered to the ground, and I felt his eyes on me again. "Don't do this to me. Don't make me feel worse than I already do."

"I'm not doing anything. This is all on you." He handed me my phone back, and I stared at the blank screen. "You have a good group of people around you. Don't let that go to waste. You don't want to fall any further into this pit of despair. It's not worth it."

He stood up and put his hand out for me to take. I took it, and he helped me up. I don't think I can do this for much longer. "I'm scared."

"I know you are, but it's okay because I'm here to protect you." He pulled me into a hug, and I think that this was the first time since before all of this - that incident, my own problems - where I didn't feel secluded and alone. The fear was starting to go. I felt human once again. I was me and not some prodigy who could do anything.

"Hey, Shu, are you here?" I heard Valt call, and I instinctively pulled back, wiping the tears that had started to fall. I don't think I could ever bring myself to allow him to see me break because he didn't deserve that, as much as it hurt. He walked into the clearing and his face suddenly dropped. I didn't have enough time. Crap. I watched him pull some beybread out of his bag and offer it to me, a small smile on his face. "To make you feel better. Mum made it with extra love."

The smile was so pure - so innocent - and I felt all my problems melt away for a moment. He was a good kid. He always had been. I wish it didn't have to come to this. I am such a terrible person. I should have been able to protect them all. I took the beybread and gave him a small smile. "Thank you, Valt."

"Come on, let's get you two home." Lui said, and his voice sounded tired. It was all my fault.

"Before we do, I have been instructed to give this to you." He took three envelopes out of his bag, giving two to me and one to Lui. "I don't know what's in them, I just know they're related to the incident and I am here on instruction of his father."

Me and Lui both shared a confused glance, flipping the envelopes over in our hands. "Thanks, twerp. Does your mum know you're out this late?"

"It's midday!"

"My point still stands."

"You're so mean!"

"I don't care."

"I'm leaving you both. If this turns into a crime scene, I was never here." I said, walking away. I'm not going to be a witness to anything else.

"No fair! You're supposed to back me up, Shu! I thought we were best friends." Valt complained "Unless he's your boyfriend~!"

I heard Valt chuckle, and my cheeks turned red. "N-no!"

"Yeah, right. You're in love~" He went into a fit of giggles and I sighed. There's no getting out of this one. I glanced at Lui, who offered me a small smile. Maybe. Just maybe. I might be able to love him.