Chapter 4: It's something I'll just deal with in the future.

Lan Zhan sat quietly beside Wei Ying on the shore, every once in a while checking his breathing.

The omega had been unconscious when he had been pulled out of the water, nearly thirty minutes later and he still was. It was starting to worry the alpha. He had no idea why, but his instincts were screaming at him to help the omega, to save him. But he was no doctor, only able to perform emergency aid.

But the omega was breathing steadily, and his pulse was strong, so it was a possibility that he had just dropped.

Dropping was a phenomenon for omega's, more common in submissive ones than dominant ones, but it could still happen. When an omega dropped, it was usually due to high amounts of stress, fear, or anxiety. Caused by higher stress chemicals in their system messing with their hormones and making them lose consciousness.

Lan Zhan had never seen this happen before, and according to Jiang Wanyin, Wei Wuxian had yet to drop, ever. Lan Zhan could tell the omega was resilient, and according to his brother, he was a dominant omega, so it was already unlikely for this to happen. Not to mention he was a cultivator with one of the strongest cores of their generation, even if most didn't want to admit that an omega was stronger than them.

So something must have caused this, some sort of build-up over the past couple of weeks. But the alpha had no clue what could have been bothering him, the omega being his joyful self.

Hence Jiang Wanyin was off trying to find a healer or doctor up to the alpha's standards to give his brother a quick check-up. The lack of good doctors in the area was causing Wei Ying's brother to take his time.

Originally, after they had subdued the creature in the lake (that they had decided was a Waterborne Abyss), Lan Zhan had offered to carry the omega back to The cloud recess, or at the very least Gusu. But Both of their brothers' seemed reluctant, for apparently different reasons.

First of all, Jiang Wanyin was injured from the quarrel with the Waterborne Abyss and wasn't able to carry his brother back himself, leading Lan Wangji to offer to do it. But the other alpha had quickly gotten prickly, telling him to keep his hands off his brother. It didn't make sense, it wasn't like he would do anything to the omega, not to mention he physically couldn't if they were going to be flying back home on their swords. Plus he had no reason to even try.

Then his own brother had piped up, saying that it was better if they stayed in Caiyi town, to both keep the Waterborne Abyss under control while they waited for their messenger to return with word from the Cloud Recess (They had sent a messenger to let them know what happened). And also that it might put a strain on his body to carry Wei Ying's limp form back to Gusu.

Lan Zhan didn't think so, but he decided to listen to his brother regardless, instead offering to stay with the unconscious omega while everyone else either helped with clean up, subduing the Waterborne Abyss, or finding a decent doctor for Wei Ying.

Jiang Wanyin had been a little reluctant to leave his brother alone with the alpha, but with some reassurance and promises that his brother would be alright from Lan Xicheng, he finally gave in. After a quick couple of minutes for everyone to recuperate, Jiang Wanyin's injuries healed up enough to help, did everyone left to go to their own thing.

So, Lan Zhan now sat quietly beside the other teen.

A soft sound coming from the omega, drawing Lan Zhan's attention to the man. Then another louder muffled groan, it sounded as if Wei Ying was finally waking up.

"Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan asked as he scooched a little closer to get a better look at the boy's face.

With one more soft groan, Wei Ying slowly opened his eyes.