seven.

Dad stood in the doorway as mom sang me to sleep. Some of my friends at school say that I'm too old to get sung to sleep by my mom, but none of their mothers are international superstars, so I don't listen to them. I'll never get tired of hearing my mom sing the song that she wrote to me while she cuddles with me in my bed. She really is my best friend, but she's better than a best friend because she's always with me and she protects me and she loves me no matter what.

"It all can get so out of control sometimes. You can lose your faith, you can lose your mind. Lose your grip, get stripped of your pride, till you don't know how you're gonna stay alive. And this world can throw you over the track sometimes. Your friends can stab you in the back, sometimes you just break down. When this life tries to wreck you, I protect you." My mom has the prettiest voice in the entire world. To me, no one compares to her. I snuggle in closer to her which causes her to smile as she continues to stroke the braid that she put in my hair and sing. I'm getting a little bit sleepy but we never make it to the second verse and I really wanna hear it tonight.

"I got your back, I got you. I take your side, I lay my life down for you. I'll crawl over broken glass, I will stand in the flame. Take the bullet, take the blows, I would take all the pain. Anything, anything that you gotta get through. Hey, hey, I got you." I didn't get to make it to the second verse that night, but I did feel my mom kiss me on the forehead and pull the covers up closer to my chin and whisper that she loves me in my ear. And I think that's better than the second verse of the song.

Demi made her way downstairs after making sure that Gabi was asleep and would stay asleep. In reality, all she wanted was to stay with her and hug her and apologize for not being there to protect her from Eiza when she should've been. But her ex-husband was downstairs standing in her kitchen, waiting for them to talk, and she had to believe that her million apologies throughout the day was enough and Gabi wasn't mad at her for not being there when she promised to protect her from everything.

"I didn't know you still sang her to sleep," Wilmer said as he poured both of them a glass of wine. She had been sober for so long that now it was okay for her to sip on a glass of wine or champagne and have enough faith herself that she wouldn't get out of control. But it was always easier when someone else was around.

"I'll keep doing it until she tells me to stop," Demi replied before taking a sip of the red wine. She could care less about the brand. She just appreciated how the substance could run through her veins and calm her down after what was a considerably terrible day.

"Demi, you have to know that I had no idea Eiza hit her. I was out of the house and I came back and Gabi was asleep and never said a thing about it. I feel awful that my own wife put her hands on my daughter and I promise you that she won't be around her anymore," Wilmer sincerely apologized. He still didn't even know how to handle the situation. He loves Eiza but nowhere near as much as he loved his daughter. He didn't want Demi to think that he would ever choose Eiza over Gabi, but he just didn't know how to deal with this, and he was enraged that Eiza even thought for a second that it was okay for her to put her hands on Gabi when she knew that he and Demi didn't discipline her like that.

"I helped her plan your wedding. I was her bridesmaid. She smiles in my face when I drop Gabi off and she turns around and slaps her? I was mad at you earlier but it's not your fault. You weren't there. Eiza should've been a grown woman and told me what happened," Demi hissed, finishing off her glass of wine and quickly refilling it as she continued.

"I know Gabi is a brat sometimes, trust me I know, but she's still respectful and I may not have been there but I know my daughter and Eiza had no right to put her hands on her. I'm just so upset that I wasn't there. I wasn't there to fight that battle for her. I let her down." Tears began to fill the bottom of her eyelids as Wilmer set his glass down and walked around the counter to embrace her. At first she flinched away, but gradually she accepted his comfort and cried into his chest.

"Demi, you deserve an award for mother of the year. You didn't let her down and you didn't break any promises to her, okay? We'll take care of this...no I'll take care of this. It's okay," Wilmer reassured her as Demi sniffled and nodded, even if she didn't believe him. How was it supposed to be okay when the woman that her daughter was supposed to look up to as a second mother, someone that she trusted, had slapped her for absolutely no reason?

Gabi POV

I don't know what it was about tonight but I just couldn't stay asleep. Maybe it was because I realized that tomorrow, I wouldn't get to spend the day with mom and dad eating froyo and shopping at the mall. I would have to go to middle school with all the big kids and I had missed my first day. Usually when I woke up in the middle of the night, mom would talk to me about whatever was on my mind and then sing me back to sleep, but she wasn't in her room. I looked outside and dad's car was still there, but shouldn't he be at home by now?

Anyways, I was starting to head towards the stairs but then I heard footsteps coming up it and thumps against the wall and decided to hide in one of the closets that held the towels in it. Thank God that I'm so small. I peeked through the shutter things and saw not just my mom, but my dad carrying her down the hall, and her arms were around his neck and they were kissing...like nasty kissing...like grown up kissing that I'm not allowed to do until I'm forty. I know because they used to kiss like that all the time when they were married.

Wait...does that mean that they're back together? Did Eiza slapping me make them realize that they really are meant for each other and not meant for anyone else? They started taking their clothes off before they even got to my mom's room and then the door shut and I figured it was safe to come out. I hope all of that means that they're back together. Only bad stuff has happened since they've been apart.

"Okay Gabi, let's try this school thing again," was the first thing I heard in the morning. I peeked one eye open and my mom was smiling down at me with the giant grin that makes it look like her face is gonna make. The media says that's her signature smile.

"Do I really have to go?" I whined, but I got my answer when she pushed my covers off of me and swept me out of my bed and into her arms. I wish I could grow a little so that she would stop doing that.

"Yup, and guess what? Your dad is gonna come over for breakfast and then we're both gonna drop you off." Mom set me down on the floor in my bathroom and turned my shower on. "So take care of your hygiene and I'll find something for you to wear and meet me downstairs in an hour, okay?" I nodded and mom kissed my forehead before leaving the bathroom with the smile still on her face. She looked happier today than she has been in the past seven years. And I know why. And I hope her happiness stays.

Just like my mom said, an hour later I was downstairs after brushing my hair and stuff. I decided to wear it all curly because I was wearing a really cute dress and it just went with it. My hair was almost as long as my mom's hair now and she loved playing in it. I'm glad my hair is naturally curly like my abuela's hair. It makes me different from my friends.

"Baby girl you look so adorable!" Mom squealed, stopping whatever she was doing by the stove and rushing over to me, attacking me with a hug and kissing me all over my face like she used to do.

"Demi, stop babying her." Mom pulled away and just like she said, dad walked over to me and hugged me as well, kissing the top of my head before ruffling my head. If dad didn't have that ring on his finger, it would definitely be like old times.

"I'm sorry she's just growing up so fast!" Mom exclaimed with tears in her eyes. She's so emotional and I'm just going to middle school.

Dad wrapped his arm around mom's shoulder and brought her into him as if it was normal and they were just that close and I wouldn't notice but I did and they seemed to be much more comfortable with each other than they used to be. I didn't say anything though. I just looked between the two of them with a smirk on my face before walking around them to go sit at the counter. I'll wait for them to tell me the news themselves.

I'm sorry I haven't updated this in a while and it's kind of short but hey here it is ☺️☺️