eleven.

When my abuelo arrived, we went right to the movies with mom and dad. I practically forced them to sit together but I know they didn't actually mind. They'll thank me later. Dad's phone buzzed a lot during the movie and every time it flashed I saw Eiza's picture. She's so needy. Dad ignored her though. But every time his phone rang mom got a frown on her face. Dad is just ruining this whole thing. I don't know why he can't just dump Eiza and get back with mom. He's making my job way more difficult than it has to be.

"How's middle school Gabi?" Abuelo asked when we were walking into the restaurant. I chose it but it's actually mom and dad's favorite sushi bar. They used to be regulars here and they even had a special dish named after them. It's called "dilmer" which is their ship name. I only know that because Auntie Maddie told me.

"It's alright. Everyone is so big," I said as we sat down and mom giggled at me. I know she thinks that no one notices, but she keeps rubbing her stomach. She barely has a baby bump though so I don't know why she keeps doing that.

"And dance?"

"Hmm, it's alright. I got third place at our last competition so I've been working really hard. Third place is not cute," I replied, looking through the menu even though I already know what I wanted.

Abuelo nodded then started talking to mom about something. Dad was on his phone and it was really starting to get on my nerves because he was probably talking to Eiza. This is family time. She's literally always in the way.

"No phones at the table!" I exclaimed, reaching across the table and snatching dad's phone out of his hands. I stuffed it into my pocket then shot him a cheeky grin as he glared at me. Well too bad. If I can't have my phone at the table then neither can he.

"I don't know what to do Abuelo. I'm running out of ideas! It's been seven years, why aren't they back together yet?" I huffed, folding my arms over my chest as me and my abuelo walked around in the backyard. Dad was staying over again and mom said she was really tired so she was going to sleep. I had a feeling that neither of them were sleeping though.

"Gabriela, you can't force two people back together, not even your parents. Believe it or not, there's a lot that went on between them that you don't know about. Just give it some time. I think we both know they'll be together soon," Abuelo said as I huffed again. How is seven years not enough time for two people who are in love with each other to get back together?

"Well they've only got about eight more months," I mumbled to myself. Pregnancy lasts nine months. If a baby doesn't get them together, I don't think anything will.

My mom always wakes me up for school. Always. I googled some more pregnancy symptoms and it turns out that her pregnancy was making her really tired. Mom sleeps a lot. But she always wakes up on time to wake me up for school. But today she didn't. The sun was up and it was already second hour but I was just getting up, and it wasn't like mom to not wake me up on a school day.

I walked into her room but she wasn't in there. The shower was running so I guess she was just cleaning herself up, but then I heard her groaning and crying so I decided to go into the bathroom to see what was wrong. The shower was running but she wasn't in it. Instead she was bent over on the floor in her robe, clutching her stomach and crying her eyes out.

"Mom!" I panicked, kneeling down next to her and rubbing her back, but I didn't know what to do and I didn't know what was wrong.

"Call 911," she cried, moving away from me as if my touch burned. I didn't want to run all the way back to my room so instead I went into hers and snatched her phone off of its charger. I dialed 911 and waited for someone to pick up.