chapter 8

"Are you alright?"
"I'm scraping the wood and then the bugs and mice are gonna get in and eat everything and then the house is going to fall apart because they'll eat the foundation!" they cried in despair.
"Well, not if you avoid scraping the same place! Just keep moving."
Patcharin made her way through the space, before the tunnel came to a door. Opening it, she hopped down into the small room below. It was in a horrible state of disrepair, everything knocked over and the floor covered in splintered wood. The ghost girl shivered as she heard the scraping noise again. It slowly picked up in pace and intensity, until she had enough.
"Shut up!"
She huffed and began to float back up to the ceiling, but before she could even rise an inch off of the ground, the girl was knocked off her feet by a large creature. Trying to catch her breath, Patcharin wobbled back to her feet before her assailant lunged at her again. Leaping out of the way, she made a mad dash for the ceiling, heaving herself through the hatch and stumbling into the crawlspace.
—————————————————————————
Her chest tightened and her eyes burned until she couldn't hold it in anymore. She reached to her back and willed the bones in her body to meet her hand, As the white mass broke through her skin, she wrapped her fingers around the bony object, pulling it out as she formed it into the crude shape of a knife. She pointed it at the creature, scowling.
    "Pat, what are you doing?! We need to leave!"
    Patcharin ignored her friend's objections, lunging towards the corpse. She swung her knife wildly, putting all her weight into her swings. Her weapon connected with the dry, stretched flesh, and the creature shrieked in pain as the blade sunk into it. Sun-Min yelped as it was sent flying their way, crashing into a pile of crates. The dokkaebi ran around wildly, stacking pieces of furniture on each other.
    "Come on, let's get out of here!" Sun-Min called, heaving themself up the pile. Patcharin didn't respond, only leaping forward to sink her knife into the corpse once again. Her friend groaned, rolling back into the crawlspace.
    "Fine, I'll get help! Don't die!"
    They scrambled back through the ceiling, trying to ignore the splinters that dug into their hands.
    If the monster doesn't kill her, I totally will.