christmas special

1984, christmas eve

1984, christmas eve.
( end of season two )

NOVA HARGROVE loved christmas. she always had, no matter where she was in the world. despite her favourite season being summer, she loved being in hawkins for christmas, because it actually snowed! real snow! in california, it was just always sunny.

after the snowball, lucas and nova finally made it official. eleven and mike were finally reunited and billy actually left them all alone for once.

nova was finally happy. she had dinner with lucas' family, and immediately clicked with his outgoingly bratty sister erica, who made some sarcastic comment the second she met nova, ( girl, what are you doing with lucas? you could do so much better ) lucas had then, of course, practically broke erica's leg from kicking it so hard.

his parents adored her, and often invited her around for tea. they had even offered for her to go over for christmas day. that was when nova realised lucas must've mentioned something about her family. she was embarrassed at first, but the two sinclair's immediately reassured her that they had gone through similar things and nova was always welcome.

nova did try and introduce lucas to her family. susan welcomed him with a hug and a smile, neil only held back from kicking him out because max had threatened to go to the police, and billy stayed in his room, wishing he could be better. but he couldn't.

so, now we are all caught up. let's get back to christmas eve.

the party sat around mike's basement with gifts and christmas for each other. nova and dustin had decorated the basement with way to many christmas decorations, but since this was nova and max's first good christmas in a while, mike let them. surprising, i know.

"okay, okay, me first!" dustin exclaimed as he handed out his gifts for everyone. dustin had gifted nova a new sketchbook, since he realised she had filled up all of her pages and had began drawing on random sheets of paper.

mike gave nova a christmas card, inside was 2 dollars and a new pencil for the sketchbook. it seemed little, but nova was actually surprised mike had even bothered.

eleven had gifted her and max friendship bracelets that they all wore, with their own initials on. this was definitely one of nova's favourites. she was so excited to have a real girl friend group.

will brought her crayons, which was his favourite that he used to draw too. max gave her the new book she had been wanting , it. mike was weirdly interested in the book.

and finally, the one who have all been waiting for. lucas had gifted nova the necklace she had been wanting for a while. a couple of weeks ago, the two of them were at the mall. nova had dragged him along so he would help her find something to wear when she met his parents. while on the way, she spotted a jewellery store and came across a necklace. it was silver and had a star pendant on it.

"how did you even—thank you so much." nova said in shock, practically flinging her arms around him.

lucas had to do a total of forty two chores to be able to afford it. "oh, don't even worry about it." lucas joked as nova laughed.

"kids, dinner!" karen wheeler had yelled from the kitchen. the friends took one look at each other before racing up the steps and to the table, immediately tucking into their christmas dinner.

max smiled at nova who returned it, squeezing her sisters hand. finally, a good christmas with their new friends—no, scratch that. with their new families.

i love and appreciate you all, thank you so much for reading sparks 🤍

thank you so much for reading
sparks 🤍

merry christmas to you all
and a very happy new year 🫶🏼