part I: the Hunger Games | 1

The Hunger Games Reaping Day cast a looming shadow over Cecilia's young heart, an annual event steeped in fear since she first grasped its significance. Her inaugural Reaping ceremony remained etched in her memory, an indelible scene of hushed murmurs, uneasy shuffling, and palpable tension that painted the air. Her first reaping, it was the 64th annual Hunger Games and she could never forget that day - hunting her in the daylight and at night in her sleeps.

Cecilia stood in line with the other children of District 4, anxiety coursing through her entire being. The Capitol woman's voice cut through the stillness, announcing the names of the chosen tributes. As the weight of dread intensified, a sudden surge of relief washed over her when another girl's name was called. The girl hesitated, prompting the Peacekeepers to intervene and guide her to the stage. Cecilia, tears welling in her eyes, took a deep, shaky breath. This time, she wasn't the chosen one.

Yet, her relief was short-lived, stained with guilt as she looked toward where the boys were standing. How could she feel relief when her older brother's fate hung in the balance? The heaviness of the situation settled in her chest, and she questioned the morality of her momentary happiness about someone else being chosen to face the brutality of the Games.

The announcement of the male tribute let relief wash over Cecilia again, despite the guilt that lingered she was happy it wasn't her older brother. He was only a year older than the girl. He had been the one who reassured her earlier that everything would be alright.

As the two tributes were led away and the Reaping ceremony concluded, Cecilia hurried toward the boys, searching for Decklan Fiore, her brother. And there he was, "Deck," she exclaimed, rushing into his arms. "Lia," he responded, enfolding her in a comforting embrace. 

Ever since that day, Cecilia found herself standing in the crowd year after year, at the same place, at the same time. As she witnessed numerous Hunger Games unfold, her hope grew that someone else would be chosen, and the burden of guilt weighed heavily on her. She despised the relief that washed over her every time the Capitol woman announced another name, and the internal conflict intensified with each passing year.

Today marked the Reaping for the 70st annual Hunger Games, and it carried a unique significance for Cecilia. It was not just another year of hoping for someone else's name to be called, it was her last Reaping ceremony. She was 18 years old, which meant this was the last year that she could be chosen as a tribute. The looming uncertainty and fear that had haunted her for so long were now reaching its end. 

As she prepared for the day, washing her face and braiding her hair, Cecilia reflected on the years gone by. She considered herself fortunate, every year at the Reaping ceremony, she stood in anxious anticipation, yet luck had always been on her side. The odds favoured her, shielding her from the cruel fate of being chosen as a tribute in the Hunger Games. Year after year, Cecilia found herself on the side of relief, spared from the horrors of the arena. 

But now in her last year, as an 18-year-old, she couldn't shake the nagging thought that the odds might finally betray her. The statistical likelihood of being selected had always been slim, because she only had the normal amount of small scrap of paper with her name on it in the reaping ceremony glass and while she deemed it unrealistic to be chosen now, the persistent anxiety still lingered.

As she was ready, her hair put in a braid decorated with beautiful shells, Cecilia accompanied by her brother made their way to the place of the reaping. Moments later Cecilia stood in the row of possible tributes as the familiar Capitol woman prepared to announce the chosen tributes. Cecilia's heart raced with a mixture of dread and anticipation. 

She knew that next year, at 19, she would at least be free from the burden of being selected, but the reality of having to witness the Hunger Games still lingered. The weight of the moment pressed upon her as she awaited the announcement that would determine the course of her fate.

"Cecilia Fiore," echoed through the crowd. Time seemed to freeze as Cecilia stood there, the weight of the announcement settling into her consciousness. She couldn't comprehend the reality unfolding before her - she had been chosen to fight in the arena for life or death in her last year?!? It felt surreal, almost dreamlike. In a desperate attempt to snap out of it, she pinched herself with her nails, feeling the sharp pain, it wasn't a nightmare, but Cecilia's new reality.

"Cecilia Fiore," the voice resonated again, and the gravity of the situation became undeniable. "Please come up here," the Capitol woman's voice instructed. The people around her, those who knew her, turned to her with tense anticipation in the air. Cecilia took a hesitant step on the sandy ground, realizing that this might be the last time she felt the familiar terrain of her home district beneath her heel. With each step onto the stage, the reality of her situation solidified. 

"An applause for Cecilia Fiore, the female tribute of District 4, please," the Capitol woman demanded. The Capitol woman presented a striking contrast to the simplicity of the district. She wore an opulent dress, and her hair, fashioned from fur, represented a level of luxury unattainable for any citizen of the district. However, the most distinctive feature was the black stripes across her face, reminiscent of a tiger's markings.

"And now for the boys, Dylan Havelock," the Capitol woman continued. A muscular, black-haired boy made his way onto the stage. The customary handshake followed, a forced display of camaraderie in the face of impending adversity. 

"The tributes of District 4," the Capitol woman announced, concluding the grim ceremony. All Cecilia could do in that moment was search the crowd for her brother. She wanted to say goodbye, to hug him one last time, but she couldn't find him in the huge crowd of district people. Soon after, the two tributes were escorted into the building behind the stage by peacekeepers. In the building, the tributes were separated into different rooms. 

Cecilia sank to the floor, tears streaming down her face. Suddenly, a knock echoed through the room. The door swung open, and a peacekeeper shoved none other than her brother inside.

 "Lia," he said, embracing the sobbing girl on the floor tightly. "I'm sorry," he apologized. 

"It's not your fault," she cried in his arms. 

"I wish I could have volunteered for you," he confessed, guilt and sadness evident in his voice. "You need to come back to me and mom," he pleaded. Just as they shared a moment, the door abruptly opened. 

"Time's over," the peacekeeper declared, pulling Decklan away making him leave the building.

Not long after, he came back for Cecilia escorted her to the train and compelled to board. With a resounding noise and a cloud of dust rising, the train started its journey. As Cecilia looked out the window she saw the landscape changing. Now, she was on her way to the Capitol.