Chapter 18: Bedlam

A/N: This chapter contains a small sexual scene. Nothing big happens, just some smoochin.

Everything had to be perfect, but also, imperfect.

She considered wearing a dress she knew Deacon liked, but decided against it. She didn't want to appear too excited for this date, it would look too suspicious. She decided instead to just wear dark green bell bottoms and a unbuttoned chiffon top tucked into her pants. The tight cuffs of the lantern sleeves made her wrists itch, making her regret not choosing another shirt before leaving the house. Her makeup was done in a simple style, just eyeliner and mascara.

She approached the bar and sat next to a chattering group of girls who seemed to be celebrating a birthday or some other event. Ana started to look around for the bartender when she felt someone bump into her shoulder.

"Oh, I'm sorry hon—Ana! I haven't seen you in forever!"

Ana turned to look at the girl closest to her. Bright blue eyes, with freckles covering her skin. Ana searched her memory and realized it was Charlotte Brooks, a girl she talked to a few times in high school. She was apart of the cheer leading team and was often at parties that Ana was at. They didn't keep in touch when high school ended, but it was nice to see at least one of her classmates flourish.

"Charlotte, how have you been? Are you still with that Kevin guy?" Ana smiled. I have time to talk. Deacon hasn't come yet.

Charlotte raised her hand and showed off an emerald ring on her ring finger. "Sure am! Married after graduation, and we just had a baby a year ago. Isn't that exciting?"

Ana nodded enthusiastically. "That's great. I'm happy for you. I assume you're here for a celebration or something?"

"It's my birthday, actually." The freckled woman took a sip of her drink before setting it down on the bar. "Hey, we're actually heading down to the lake soon and going for a late-night dip. You're welcome to join us!"

Ana smiled softly before shaking her head. "No, I'm good. I'm actually meeting someone here." Her eyes went to the drink Charlotte set down. It was an amber color, with a lime stuck on the rim. It was almost gone, and an idea popped in Ana's head. "That looks good. What is that?"

The bartender finally approached her. A frazzled, fatigued woman who looked like she was already done with her shift. Surely someone who wouldn't notice a mistake or two. "What can I get ya, hon?"

Ana pointed to Charlotte's drink. "Can I get what she has?"

The bartender nodded and got to work making a drink.

"It's good, you'll like it." Charlotte hopped down from her seat before laying down a couple bills on the bar. "Me and my friends are going to the lake. Enjoy your date!"

Ana waved goodbye, but her smile faded as soon as she left. Charlotte has a great life, a far better one than mine. She turned back to the bar and took a sip of her drink. I could've had that if I didn't have Marchosias as a father. That could've been me getting married and having a baby.

She shook the envious thoughts away and returned to the present. She watched the distracted bartender zip around, getting drinks for the people sitting at the bar and making conversation when she could. When she was distracted with an old man on the far side of the bar, Ana took the chance and switched her full drink with Charlotte's near-empty one.

It was something she noticed about Deacon over the months they've seen each other. He was willing to take risks and be more flirty if he knew Ana had drank more. A disgusting habit, but it was one Ana had regrettably encouraged. She was too lost in herself to care that the man she was taking to bed thought he was taking advantage of her. She wasn't lost now. She had a plan, and she will find out what he is hiding from her.