Chapter 3- Rules, Rules, Rules

I walk into the hut. Amara practically dragging me. There were benches and chairs that were  built by hand . The boy known as Gally sits down on one and grabs a stick off the floor. I hear footsteps running towards us.  A boy races into the hut.

"sorry i'm late, Ben took his time running today" he laughs and stands next to me. "i'm Mihno" he stuck his hand out and i shake it. "you don't know your name yet?" i shake my head. "nope"

"What ? You talk?" Amara shouts. Gally laughed.

"Give 'em a break Am, Probably scared " Mihno interrupted their giggling and patted me on the back.  I gave him a smile. 

"Right! where to begin?" Amara asked. Gally stepped forward and from what seemed like from nowhere, he pulled out a sheet of paper with writing on that i couldn't quite make out. 

"You need to learn the rules of the glade, Now just because your new doesn't mean that you get special treatment. you break any and you WILL be punished" Gally explains. "there are only three so you'd better remember them"  i nod along to his rambling. 

"Rule 1: Never Hurt Another Glader, we need to be able to trust each other. Rule 2: Everyone Does Their Part. No slackers"  Amara elbows me and smirks. i laugh at her. Gally clears his throat. "And finally, Never Go Into The Maze". I frown. 

"Maze? what? Behind those walls?" i ask. "Yep!" Amara answers. "Little weird i know, but you'll get used to it, we all have" She walks out of the hut and they all follow. I go along behind them. The blonde boy i had met previously walks past but Amara stopped him. 

"Newt, can you show the greenie where shes gonna sleep?" She requested. 

"I've got to prepare for tonight" He nodded as she jogged over to group of boys who were chopping up wood. Newt put his arm around my back

"Come on, you've showed up later than we were expecting you so we haven't got a lot of time" We walk over to a big room filled with hammocks hung up.

 He points at one closest to us "You can sleep there" I nod. "Not very chatty are you?" He says. i shrug. 

"How long have you been here?" i ask. He chuckles and rolls his head back.

"Um couldn't tell u to be honest, a couple years, we think. i was about 12 when i got here and i think i'm 16 or 17 now" he responds

"Sorry? You've been here for what? Four, Five Years?" i ask. He nods awkwardly. 

"Some have been here longer, every month somebody comes up in that box, and somebody had to be first right?" he explains

"A month on your own? In here? Who was it?" I ask. He points across the field at a girl tackling a  boy onto the ground and they're both giggling. 

"Amara" Newt responds.

 i sigh. "I see"  He laughs and drags me over to the big group of boys. 

"Over there are the Sloppers, they're not really good at anything special so they just kind of do the dirty work, cleaning toilets,showers and things, lets hope your good at something or that's where i'll see you" We move on to the next group."Those are the builders,really good with their hands but not a lot going on up there if you get me" he pointed to his forehead and i laughed. He pointed over to a load of smoke "Over there are the cooks, you met Frypan? he's head chef"  A boy from inside waved and i waved back. 

"You with me so far?" he jokes

"i think so?" i laugh. He walks over to a log and sits against it. I sit next to him and he talks about the rest of the groups: The Slicers, The Med-Jacks, The Baggers, The Gardeners and The Blood Housers.  A group of boys run fast past us, all wearing backpacks.

"Those are the runners, they run the maze everyday, trying to figure a way out," Newt explains. "Couldn't be me, i'm not cut out for it. I'm a gardener. Tomorrow you can help me, you can try out different jobs see if you're any good?"

"sounds great," i say. 

"Right its getting dark so i'd better get some vegetables for Fry otherwise he won't be happy with me" He gets up. "Stay there, try to get over the shock and you might enjoy yourself,"