35

The Return

I'm not sure what marriage really entails. I'm not even sure how it all works. Yet, here I am, walking towards the aisle where Hugo proudly stands.

Even from afar, I could see the faint smile on his face. A smile that seemed to say, 'Thank you. Thank you for being here for me.'

A single tear rolled down my cheek.

I always promised myself that I would do anything for my friends. I would go to great lengths to support them. And Hugo is no different. He's been my rock since we were young. When I was at my lowest, he left everything behind to be by my side. He moved here. He offered me his unwavering support. He became my pillar of strength.

My mother warned me not to sacrifice myself any further, but...

As I stood in front of the altar, exchanging smiles with Hugo, I knew that we understood each other. We both had our own reasons for taking this step...

"Thank you for doing this, Elene." His father whispered.

I shifted my eyes from Hugo to him. My jaw clenched.

Seeing him now, the one who caused so much pain to my friend, fills me with anger. If it weren't for our carefully laid out plan, I wouldn't have held back my emotions like this. Memories of my conversation with Hugo from months ago come flooding back. "How long have you known that we were living here?" I inquired of Hugo as I gently fixed Haya's hair behind her ear. She was peacefully asleep, so I carefully tucked her into bed.

Hindi na natuloy ang planong picnic namin kanina. Minabuti kong pauwiin na muna sina Sheena at Joshua para na rin sa kaligtasan nila. At isa pa, mahaba habang usapan ang ginawa ko at ni Haya.

I have always been truthful with her. I have never hidden anything from her. She is aware that I am not her mother. She knows that her mom is in the hospital and her dad is living far away from them. I understand that it's not my place to share such information with her, but how can I possibly explain to her that her mother's hospitalization is due to her father's misfortune? I couldn't bear to hurt her. Haya is far too important for that.

Nilingon ko si Hugo na nakamasid sa amin. Nakahilig ito sa pintuan ng kwarto ni Haya.

"A year or so." Napapaos niyang sagot.

"Why chose to show up now?"

Nagkatitigan kami. "I can't risk your safety. I am being watched."

Kumunot ang noo ko.

Hanggang ngayon pa rin ba ay may tangka sa buhay ko? Ilang taon na ang nakalipas...

"May balita ka ba sa magulang ko?" Kinakabahan kong tanong.

Nagtiim ang panga ni Hugo. Huminga siya ng malalim. "Wala, Elene. Hindi ko alam kung nasaan sina Tita Nathalia at Tito Greg. Nang pumunta ako sa inyo, doon ko nalaman na naibenta na ang bahay at lupa niyo."

Mabilis na namuo ang luha sa mga mata ko. Muli kong naalala iyong huling ala-ala na kasama ko si Mommy bago niya ako ipahatid sa terminal.

"You're still being hunted, Elene."

"What for?" A lone tear fell from my eyes.

I don't know why they're looking for me. I don't know the reason why I need to hide.

"The El Guerrero's..." I paused.

Hugo look at me with so much worry in his eyes.  He knows it too. He knows what happened before.

"Is it because of our family's rivalry in politics?" I asked. "That's why they're chasing us?"

Hugo didn't answer.