The Tudors And Stuarts (John Blanke)

In England and Wales, the Tudor period occurred between 1485 and 1603, and included the Elizabethan period during the reign of Elizabeth I. The Tudor period coincides with the dynasty of the House of Tudor in England, which began with the reign of Henry VII.I didn't really consider that Britain during 'olden times' could have been multicultural. We've been led to believe that our diverse society is a pretty recent development.But that's not true at all,in fact we have evidence of black people being around at the time of the Tudors and really making their mark.They are no longer going to be left out of history! Two significant Black people during those times were John Blanke and Jacques Francis and they're who I am going to introduce to you next but unfortunately I am going to introduce to you one called John Blanke but I will do a quick summary of Jacques Francis!

John Blanke was a musician of African descent in London from the early Tudor period (the early sixteenth century), who probably came to England as one of the African attendants of Catherine of Aragon in 1501. He is one of the earliest recorded black people in what is now the United Kingdom after the Roman period.John Blanke was a royal trumpeter in the courts of Henry VII and Henry VIII, and remains the only black Tudor for whom we have an identifiable image. While serving two kings, he bore witness to some of the great moments in England's history and contributed to some of the greatest spectacles of the Tudor age.

The most historical moment he did was he wanted his wages to be doubled from 8d to 16d per day and back dated. We know his wages were 8d per day from the Exchequer role of 1507 which shows the first payment to John Blanke, the Black trumpeter, of 8d per day.Now this was a dangerous act after all we know that Henry VIII had a temper and liked chopping people's heads off! Luckily for John, Henry agreed and doubled up his wages.His inspirations shows that not only did Black people live and work in Tudor England, but that he was someone of note too.After all, he worked at the most important royal court.

5 facts about John Blanke:

1. John Blanke was an African trumpeter who lived during the reign of King Henry VII and Henry VIII in England.

2. He served as a musician in the royal courts and was a member of the elite group of trumpeters known as the "Black Trumpeters."

3. Blanke is known for his appearances in the court records, where he is mentioned as receiving wages and rewards for his performances.

4. He is one of the earliest recorded black individuals in England, and his presence challenges the commonly held notion that Europe during that time was entirely homogenous.

5. John Blanke's story sheds light on the diverse and multicultural nature of Renaissance Europe and the important role that black musicians played in the royal courts.

A quick summary of John Blanke:

John Blanke holds great significance as one of the earliest recorded black individuals in England during the Renaissance period. His presence challenges the notion that Europe at that time was entirely homogenous. By being a member of the "Black Trumpeters" and serving in the royal courts, he showcased the multicultural nature of Renaissance Europe and the important role that black musicians played in shaping the cultural landscape. John Blanke's story helps us better understand the diverse history of the time and highlights the contributions of individuals from different backgrounds.

Now, it is the time to introduce Jacques Francis, also known as Jaques Frauncys, I will provide you a quick preview of his life.

Jacques Francis, also known as Jaques Frauncys, was an African salvage diver who helped salvage King Henry VIII's guns from the Mary Rose. He was the first known African to speak in an English court in 1548. Despite being called a slave, he was actually paid wages. After February 1548, what happened to him remains unknown. It's a truly remarkable story of his contributions and the challenges he faced.