The Twentieth Century (Windrush Generation) (Claudia Vera Jones)

HMT Empire Windrush became a symbol of a wider mass-migration movement.According to the National Archives, there were 1,027 people on board. More than 800 gave their last country of residence as somewhere in the Caribbean.Several hundred passengers were Jamaican, but others arrived from islands including Trinidad, St Lucia, Grenada and Barbados.These travellers - and those on other ships which came to the UK until 1971 - became known as the Windrush generation.Many had served in the British armed forces in World War Two.In 1948 the British Nationality Act gave people from colonies the right to live and work in Britain.The government needed workers to help fill post-War labour shortages and rebuild the economy.Caribbean countries were also struggling economically and job vacancies in the UK offered an opportunity.Many of those who came became manual workers, drivers, cleaners, and nurses in the newly-established NHS.

Claudia Vera Jones was born on 21 February 1915, and died on 24 December 1964.Her place of burial was Highgate Cemetery in London.She was a Trinidad and Tobago-born journalist and activist. As a child, she migrated with her family to the United States, where she became a Communist political activist, feminist and Black nationalist, adopting the name Jones as "self-protective disinformation".

Claudia Jones not only played a key role in fighting for racial equality in the UK, but she also helped to bring Caribbean culture to the forefront of British life.Jones was born in Belmont, Trinidad in 1915 and arrived in New York when she was eight years old. Her birth certificate names her as Claude Vera Cumberbatch. By the time she was deported in 1955, she had reinvented herself as the charismatic transnational activist Claudia Jones. Claudia Jones spent her life fighting for tolerance and equality - a road that would lead her to become an instrumental part of setting up the beloved annual Notting Hill Carnival.

5 facts about Claudia Vera Jones, also known as Claudia Vera Cumberbatch:1. She was born in Trinidad and Tobago and later moved to the United States with her family.2. Claudia Vera Jones was known for her involvement in Communist political activism.3. She was a passionate feminist, advocating for gender equality and women's rights.4. Claudia Vera Jones was also a prominent figure in the Black nationalist movement.5. To protect her identity, she adopted the name Jones as a form of "self-protective disinformation."

A summary about Claudia Vera Jones, also known as Claudia Vera Cumberbatch:

Sure! Claudia Vera Jones, originally from Trinidad and Tobago, was a journalist and activist. She moved to the United States as a child and became involved in Communist politics, feminism, and the Black nationalist movement. To protect her identity, she adopted the name Jones. She made significant contributions in these areas. She also had a connection with the Notting Hill Carnival. The Notting Hill Carnival is a vibrant and colorful event held in London, England. It celebrates Caribbean culture and traditions, and Claudia Vera Jones was involved in promoting the carnival and advocating for its importance. She used her platform as a journalist and activist to highlight the significance of the carnival and its cultural impact.

Black In TimeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara