Chapter 3: The Promise

I awoke slowly, not wanting to leave my dream world...a world without pain...

I winced as I shifted in my bed, the bandages around my middle rubbing painfully against my wound. It was nearly healed, but it still hurt me greatly. The stab wound has been inflicted so close to my heart, just barely below it, and the damage had been great. Only Yamraiha's skill had been able to save me in the knick of time... Her healing magic and my own genetics had helped it to rapidly heal.

As I stirred I became aware of the other presence in the bed with me, although I knew he would be there when I awoke. After all, he hadn't left my side once since my injury.

"Sabine..." Masrur mumbled sleepily. I could tell he hadn't been able to get much sleep. His voice was weary and his eyes looked dull as he sat up and leaned over me. I smiled a little as he kissed me gently on the forehead. "How are you feeling today?"

I winced a little again but managed to sit up. Masrur looked at me with concern as I took a deep breath before smiling at him.

"I'm feeling a lot better today, almost completely back to normal," I said. It was true that I still has some discomfort, but it wasn't nearly as bad as when I had first sustained the wound. "I should be alright to go to the feast tonight," I added. Masrur eyed me just in case I was lying.

"Are you sure?" he said, laying a hand over mine and giving it a gentle squeeze. I nodded and leaned against his warm shoulder. He put an arm around me and we say there for a while, happy to be in each other's presence.

The feast was a grand affair. In celebration of out successful defense of the country from an Al Tharmen attack, the King had ordered no expense to be spared on the victory festivities. There was food and drink in plenty, and plenty of entertainment.

I sat at the high table with Yamraiha and Pisti, listening as they informed me of what had happened after I had sustained my wound. I had been sleeping for much of the past three days since the battle and I hadn't had a chance to hear much of what had happened. Masrur has been intent on me healing as quickly as possible.

"You should have seen Masrur when he saw you go down..." said Yamraiha gravely, a solemn look on her face. Pisti shuddered and I gave them a quizzical look.

"Was it really that scary?" I asked. They both nodded, giving each other knowing looks.

"I've never seen Masrur lose it like that..." said Yam quietly, her eyes holding genuine fear. "Fanalis are absolutely terrifying when they're in a blind rage..." Pisti shuddered at the memory.

"So much blood..." she whispered. I gaped at them, surprised at their reactions. Had Masrur really gone into a rage like that? I was curious for more details but they refused to tell me. Yam gave me a wary look.

"I think you should ask Sin... He knows Masrur best besides you and he'll be able to tell you what Masrur would be okay with you knowing," she said.

I got up from the table and made my way over to where the King was drinking with the other men. I smiled warmly as Masrur as he gave me a concerned look and shook my head as he made to get up. I bowed as much as my wound would allow when King Sinbad noticed me.

"Sin may I speak to you for a moment in private?" I asked, knowing that Masrur would understand. The King gave the red-headed warrior a look, receiving a nod, before getting up from his seat.

"Of course Sabine," said Sinbad, offering me his arm. I took it and we walked a ways into the palace gardens, away from all the noise. We stopped at a large fountain and I stopped to sit on it and rest. The King gave me a concerned look.