running out of time

would be nice to not turn up late to something for once and keep everyone waiting just because i couldn't manage my time. i'll start by going to bed early tonight so i don't sleep in tomorrow. i pull out my phone to set a reminder to go to bed early enough that i won't be tired in the morning. it's common sense, isn't it?

6:30am. wake up. brush my teeth. skincare. makeup. brush my hair. maybe i'll just go for a quick shower before i head to the studio. get dressed. make tea. take my meds. feed alf. quick tummy scratches. head out the door and drive off for the day.

8:11am. i should really get here a bit earlier.

i walk in the door and everyone is sitting as if they've been here for ages messing around with their instruments.
"morning, guys! sorry i'm late."
"it's okay, we've not even started yet. and actually, joey's gone out to get us cereal. we just assumed you'd want some." zac reassures me.
"are you kidding me? i'm starving! we'd better have enough almond milk in the fridge."
"we've lived off cereal since we were kids, hayley." taylor teases with a playful 'duh' expression, and i can't help but to chuckle a little.

6:30am. wake up. brush my teeth. skincare. makeup. brush my hair. i won't go for a shower this time, i can do that tonight. get dressed. make tea. take my meds. feed alf. quick tummy scratches. head out the door and drive off for the day. traffic wasn't good today.

8:17am. never mind, i'll try again tomorrow.

"uh, hi guys. sorry, there was traffic on the way here."
"oh, it's okay. that's not your fault this time."
"man, i don't even know what was in the air today that made everyone get in their cars and drive so fucking slow."

6:30am. wake up. brush my teeth. skincare. makeup. brush my hair. get dressed. white sweater or black sweater? make tea. take my meds. feed alf. quick tummy scratches. head out the door and drive off for the day.

8:20am. i'll lay my clothes out tonight so i can just slip them on in the morning.

"oh, now comes hayley." i give taylor a puzzled look as i walk in the room.
"hayley, that's the third day in a row you've been late! what happened today?" i give zac another look that says "don't test me", he returns a look that says "sorry, my bad for asking", so i figure it's probably worth explaining myself.
"couldn't decide what to wear today. obviously took me too long to decide."
"so why don't you-"
"i know! i know. i promise i'll lay all my clothes out tonight so i don't have to decide tomorrow morning when i'm in a rush."
"but you're just coming to the studio anyway, we couldn't care less about what you wear. we trust that you'll keep it... sensible."
"okay, so just for you guys tomorrow, why don't i wear my sparkly pink sequinned mini dress and 10-inch heels with the fanciest earrings that are the noisiest when i walk so you know where i am every step of the way?" i tease with the cheesiest grin on my face, so they know i'm only joking. unless...

6:30am. wake up. brush my teeth. skincare. makeup. brush my hair. get dressed. make tea. take my meds. feed alf. quick tummy scratches. head out the door and drive off for the day. shit, i forgot my phone.

8:26am. i forgot to check that i had everything before i left.

i walk in and this time, they're already sitting with all their instruments in their hands. they knew this was gonna happen.
"morning guys, i guess we've already started?"
"mhm. yup."
i've kept them waiting for too long and now they're annoyed at me. i can't blame them. i get behind the mic and we dive straight in to today's recording session.

6:30am. wake up. brush my teeth. skincare. makeup. brush my hair. where did i leave my hairbrush? get dressed. make tea. take my meds. feed alf. quick tummy scratches. head out the door and drive off for the day.

8:31am. i need to tidy the house tonight so i don't misplace everything.

tonight after a productive day at the studio, we decide to go out for a casual dinner and drinks, where we end up discussing what we're gonna do tomorrow. i feel a bit dishevelled, though i'm convinced i would've been less so had this dinner been less impromptu... but i couldn't be any more grateful, don't get me wrong! i'm starting to think the stress of poor time management is getting to me now, but what has that got to do with anything?
i get home late and want to go straight to bed because of how exhausted i am, so at least i can try and get some decent sleep before we do it all over again tomorrow. i'm still so full from all the food however, so i fuck around the house for a bit and sit in front of the TV mindlessly, until i get bored and do a quick yoga routine before getting ready for bed.

6:30am. wake up. brush my teeth. skincare. makeup. brush my hair. get dressed. make tea. take my meds. feed alf. quick tummy scratches. and oh, look - he's brought me the squeaky toy. a couple of fetches won't hurt, at least it'll tire him out a bit until i get back. head out the door and drive off for the day.

8:35am. i have a dog to care for. can't help that. maybe i should bring him to the studio to give myself more time to take care of him.

i stop by the grocery store on my way home to stock up on alf's food, and it feels like i just did - how hungry does this boy get? there's an awesome deal on a big box of the chicken he's been loving recently. i end up buying the box that's bigger than me, but god knows how much of this he's gonna finish. i don't think you can go wrong with this, though. thank god it's not the neighbor's cat though, because i cant imagine how much of an issue it would've been figuring out what she likes - she probably doesn't even know herself.
i'm home earlier tonight, so i throw together some dinner ans spend some time playing with alf then get ready for bed earlier so i can get up early tomorrow and get something accomplished in the morning. otherwise i feel like the day's wasted - is it just me?

said i was gonna take some flowers to my neighbour, but i ran out of time

didn't wanna show up to the party empty-handed, but i ran out of time

said i'd walk the dog a little further than the driveway tonight, the extra mile

thought i'd send a card with my condolences but damn, i just ran out of time

intentions only get you so far

what if i'm just a selfish prick? no regard...

i'm always running out of time

never mind, i hit the snooze on my alarm twenty times

i was just so tired

there was traffic, spilt my coffee, crashed my car, otherwise, would've been here on time

shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't matter, ultimate alibi

you know it's a lie

there was a fire! (metaphorically)

be there in five! (hyperbolically)

intentions only get you so far (it was on my list, i swear i meant to get to it)

a harsh reality to discover

[...]

why we gotta be in a rush? my watch is just for decoration

look, i showed up early for once

now, that's a new sensation

[...]