Chapter One

"It's beautiful. Thank you. You may go now." I say to my maid who helps me dress every morning and evening, and makes every stitch of my clothing. She leaves the room as I sit on my bed closing my eyes for a moment hoping to get a few more moments of silence before my day starts completely.

I'm startled by a knock at my door, opening my eyes I am annoyed until I see who it is. Winter. My cousin. I smile then stand up and smooth out my new ball gown. "Winter." I say, "How are you?"

"Good. I think. Your gown is gorgeous though."

"Thank you," I reply then look down at my gown. And it truly is just that. My maid outdid herself this time, it's empire waisted with a satin ribbon just below my bust, it's a deep blue, nearly black, with glitter religiously covering it. I am meant to look like the night sky.

We stand there for a moment and in awkwardness so I then gesture for her to sit down. She doesn't see me so I tap her shoulder and she jolts up.

"Winter, are you okay?"

"Um, yes. Just another hallucination," she responds softly.

"Did you want something or were you just planning on standing here," I say with a half-hearted chuckle. I wish Jacin were here to help her, for all his rough edges and callous comments, he is the only one who knows how to calm Winter gently enough she isn't frightened, but firm enough for her to understand.

"Oh yes of course. My father and I were wondering if you would like to take a stroll around the lake? Father has been working so often, and he worries about you ever so much. It's been so long since the three of us have done something together. As a family." Winter grabs my hand and strokes it with her thumb, smiling at me.

I close my eyes for a moment and imagine that. A day with just Winter and Evret. That's when I am most relaxed when I'm with them, with my uncle and my cousin, though these are the words that describe their lineage to me, they don't even begin to describe what they are to me. There's none that can verbalize the fondness I hold for them.

No royal duties hanging over my head. Or half bad mothers. Or evil aunts. Yes, that is when I am most at peace. With those who most would consider my "extended family", but I consider to be my only family.

I open my eyes. "Ah, Winter you don't know how tempting that is. I would love to but I can't today. Sadly I have another meeting with my mother and Levana." Winter winces at her stepmother's name. "I'm sorry," I say, for I know how much she hates her. For how much pain those three syllables bring to my fragile cousin. For the years of childhood and the years of freedom, my aunt has taken from Winter and her father.

Winter simply nods her head and says goodbye then leaves. And with that, I take three deep breaths, touch the necklace at my throat, and I begin another day in hell.