two - a burning building...

♛   a burning building...
or alternatively, "...and an escape."

"

✷

𝘿𝘼𝙉𝙄𝙀𝙇 𝙍𝙄𝘾𝘾𝙄𝘼𝙍𝘿𝙊 𝙎𝘼𝙏 𝘼𝙇𝙊𝙉𝙀 𝙄𝙉 𝙃𝙄𝙎 𝙇𝙐𝙓𝙐𝙍𝙄𝙊𝙐𝙎 𝘼𝙋𝘼𝙍𝙏𝙈𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙄𝙉 𝙈𝙊𝙉𝘼𝘾𝙊, 𝙇𝘼𝙐𝙂𝙃𝙄𝙉𝙂. Laughter so visceral he felt like crying. His apartment was on the top floor of a high-rise building, and the outlook was breathtaking. However, he wasn't in the mood to enjoy the picturesque view. He stared at his own team exit statement as he got the news. He had a blank expression on his face before it morphed into humor — the only thing he thought could comfort him then. Of course Max would try to beat him, even when leaving the team, like one last 'fuck you.' He could hear his entire house buzz, calls and messages coming from all his devices to ask how he was feeling, but he didn't want to talk to anyone. The call on his phone was from headquarters, knowing exactly what they wanted.

Daniel laughed in pain until he physically felt it, the ends of his smile curling down, his arms wrapping around his ribs. He planted his head into his coach cushions as he sat on the floor between the seat and the coffee table. The apartment fell silent again, except for his laughter. He could smell the scent of freshly brewed coffee from the machine in the kitchen, and the sound of midnight waves crashing against the shore could be heard from a distance. It was 2 am there, and he would not be sleeping.

It was like he had been caught in the act. Everyone knew. Netflix had shot two versions of his end-of-season statement for 'Drive to Survive.' One of him leaving for the Renault team, and one of him quitting the sport entirely. None even posed the possibility of him staying. His contract was done. And he wasn't going to renew, which felt fucking convenient. The team was cutthroat, a welcome challenge, but not enough to keep him there playing second. No matter how hard he tried. Red Bull felt like the Titanic, sinking slowly but surely.

Daniel felt like a kid again, even though he was a couple years from thirty, spending most of his life with the team, his longest commitment. When he was young, the thought of quitting was always an option. He cycled through sports, collecting hobbies like badges. Daniel dreamed of being a skydiving, mountain-climbing astronaut race car driver, but settled for the latter as he tried his hand at all of them and failed to stick.