CHAPTER V

────── -: ✧ :- ──────┌────── -: ✧ :- ──────┐ACT IV, CHAPTER Vthe promise of life└────── -: ✧ :- ──────┘────── -: ✧ :- ──────

┌────── -: ✧ :- ──────┐
ACT IV, CHAPTER V
the promise of life
└────── -: ✧ :- ──────┘
────── -: ✧ :- ──────

All residents of Thirteen were summoned to President Coin's speech. Finnick stood between Victor, who was holding Mercy in his arms, and Jonathan.

The district president came to the podium and stood in front of the microphone.

- Good morning. said a voice that made Mercy want to wince. — Thank you for interrupting what you were doing.

- As if we had any choice. - the blond from number seven whispered.

Victor laughed lightly and Finnick just nodded. They stood and listened to Coin, waiting for news regarding their family's release.

"Katniss Everdeen has agreed to become the face of our cause and will help unite the districts against the Capitol. - Victor stared intently at the older woman, waiting to see if she would keep her promises or head straight for failure. — In return, I promised to make some concessions.

-Will Hope come back? - the redhead asked her brother in a whisper.

-Let's hope so. - he whispered back, adjusting her on his side.

— First, we will make every effort to rescue the Victors held in the Capitol. Peeta Mellark. — Screams of outrage echoed throughout the room, and the Sparks siblings simply watched Katniss as she walked towards them. — Johanna Mason.

—We also asked for Annie. Victor whispered to Jonathan and Finnick as he set Mercy down so she could approach the girl from Twelve she had become close to recently.

— Annie Cresta. — the older woman made a short pause, and the black-haired man knew that his sister's name would barely pass Coin's lips. —And Hope of the Rebellion, Hope Sparks. After their release, they will be pardoned regardless of the actions against our case.

The outrage of the inhabitants of Thirteen was heard everywhere.

- Great. That's great, Katniss, Vic. Finnick said with sincerity in his voice.

- If Katniss Everdeen fails to fulfill her obligations, the contract will be void. Thank you for your attention. Please return to your daily duties.

The three friends looked at each other worriedly, and Katniss felt a comforting handshake from the youngest Sparks.

***

Hope sat next to Johanna, cuddling the younger girl to her side. Trying to hold back the tears of pain she felt at the slightest movement. But still, she stroked her best friend's arm, hoping that she would believe that everything would end well.

But Hope herself didn't believe it. How she felt after days spent with the Snow family, pretending to be a completely new person, and after nights of torture that left her weaker and weaker.