Platonic AlbeCale/CaleBeru Cuddles (?)

Quick One Shot

"...Hyung, why are you still up?" Cale was puzzled to see the future king, crouching over documents - definitely overworking himself. He made his way over to his hyung's desk, carelessly stepping around the dozens of teacups that scattered the floor. He stopped in front of him, looking at his dark circles and messed up hair being accentuated by the moonlight. Then he noticed that his hyung was in his pajamas. His new, more formal pajamas - the ones he bought in case he needs to go out in the middle of the night again. 'I see. He's working because he couldn't sleep...'

"Hah... Can you really ask that? You troublesome bastard, you left me all this work-" Alberu stopped grumbling to look up at his dongsaeng. He paused, taking in his commander's appearance. He was slightly red faced - almost as if he drank before coming to see him. It might've been the lighting, or the time of night but Alberu could see for a moment the dark circles that almost took up half of Cale's face, and the tiredness seeping through the cracks of his unbothered mask. He had come in his pajamas, and Alberu realised he might've walked as Raon was no where to be seen. '...he hasn't slept either...'

"Why are you even here? It's almost 10 to 1. At night."

"Thanks for the clarification."

"Tsk."

"I wanted to check in on you."

"..." Alberu raised his eyebrows, waiting for Cale to stop his bullshit and get to his real point.

"And maybe steal your bed."

Alberu sighed, before his small smile settled on his lips. Cale had an uneasy feeling crawl up his spine. "You know, you could get a bed like this if you became Prime Minister-"

"Absolutely not."

Alberu laughed, bringing his fist up to cover it. "You bastard, you're not even going to hide it?" Cale's face was one full of disdain and displeasure. He didn't quite glare, but stared forcefully.

"You are known for your grace, oh brightest sun of our kingdom. If your highness was to gift me a bed like this, I'd be content knowing I was gifted such generosity from the highest sun of the king-"

"That's enough." Alberu was now sporting a similar look of distaste, right back up to Cale. They both prolonged their eye contact before Cale stepped forward, to change the topic. "What happened to your bed anyways hyung? Why isn't it in your room?" His eyes wandered, looking at the mostly bare room.

"Hah, they're moving me to the king's room." Cale's eyes shot back to Alberu, surprised. "Since father decided to leave before my coronation, they're putting me into the new palace to prepare. Usually, this wouldn't happen - a break of tradition and all but I'm a new type of king."

"A truly blessed one, one who'll ever grace the kingdom with his light." Cale finished off, picking up a teacup only to find it was cold and putting it down again. "One who belongs on the throne." Alberu softened, stepping up from his desk. That one phrase made him unbelievably, stupidly happy and he really wished people said it more to him.

"Well, you can go then. I don't have my bed here, so there's no reason for you to stay."

"Or we could make a deal."

"...I really shouldn't, but go on."

"I have a mattress, and I don't want to go home." 'Too lazy to.' "So, how about we share the mattress?"

"...what."

"A fair compromise. Unless you'd prefer waking up your Aunt at 3 in the morning? There aren't exactly any other servants in this palace anymore."

"Take out the mattress."

Cale opened his pouch and took out the mattress, to the confusion of Alberu. Then he pulled out four small pillows and a light orange blanket. "There's nothing else in there." Cale said, glancing up to Alberu who was peering down the pouch. "So you can keep it."

Cale then flopped down onto the mattress, taking up the left side, and fell asleep immediately as his head hit the pillow. Alberu, on the right, was struggling to keep his eyes closed. He took off his necklace, hiding it in the pouch. 'He's right. No one is in this palace but the sole chef, Tasha and I.' He turned to the side to watch Cale sleep. 'He can just fall asleep. Just like that?' Alberu was envious on how easily sleep came to his dongsaeng and how comfortable he looked. But also was washed over with a sense of pity knowing it might have been because how long it's been since he last slept.

Entranced, he edged closer to Cale. Cale, sleepily, noticed it in his half-awake state and hummed questioningly. Alberu stopped creeping closer, before turning to look up at his ceiling.

"Still can't sleep hyung?"

"Mm. No."

'Not my problem.' Cale thought, dryly.

"What's up with the orange blanket? And why are your pillows so small?" Alberu questioned, a joking tint while he talked. "What material is this anyways-?" He inspected the blanket, rubbing his thumbs over the soft fluff.

'Is he going to be talking all night?' Cale grimaced slightly before opening his eyes fully to look at his hyung. He turned onto his side to poke his shoulder.

"Stop talking." He mumbled out, seriously. "I want to sleep."

Alberu smiled slightly, before sighing in acceptance. "Okay that's fair." In a moment of boldness, he moved and leaned his head against his chest. Cale's eyes widened before moving to sleep on his back and put his arm around him. Alberu smiled slightly before subconsciously fluttering his eyelashes and yawning. He felt safer in Cale's embrace and quickly fell asleep. Cale succumbed to sleep straight after.

Alberu - throughout the night - took comfort from Cale. Cuddling him whenever he felt discomfort or his dreams took an unpleasant turn. Wrapping his legs around him and keeping one hand holding his waist to have him close. When Alberu moved, Cale's free hand would reach out to pat Alberu's head - running his fingers through his dark locks - until he stopped squirming and seemed okay. A habit he gained from sleeping with the kids.

Hours went past, and soon the sun came up. Cale woke up first seeing the first rays of the sun break through the night.

'Hey Sparks!'

'Look who's the early bird!'

'How was sleeping with the XXX crown prince? Was it XXX? XXX?'

'Please don't use such crude words to describe those two....'

'Good on you for sleeping little pebble!'

'I was wondering why my night was so peaceful. I guess it's cause of these guys being quiet.'

Cale blinked away the sleep and yawned widely. Aberu stirred from his sleep momentarily before going back to drooling onto Cale. "Five...more..."

"Wake up. I have to go before the kids notice I'm not in bed."

"Mm... it'll be fine..."

"Your highness... get up before I fucking make you."