𝟎𝟓. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐮𝐬

— 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐧 —

━━━━━━ ☽【❖】☾ ━━━━━━

I never expected to survive so long. And I can't decide whether that's a blessing from the gods or a curse.

The second my name was called, I remember all the blood rushing from my face while my eyes threatened to roll back inside my head. I remember looking out into the crowd while standing on that stage. Not a single pair of eyes met mine. That is none except Juneaux.

She looked at me like someone she knew from a distant dream. It didn't take long to return the look as we each experienced moments that reminded us of a happiness we once knew.

It was cruel if you really think about it. To meet someone who completes your other half by circumstances where you'll be forced to watch one another die... or worse: end that life yourself. You have no idea how badly I wish the circumstances were different. How I wish Juneaux and I met years ago when the other's presence would be enough to console the loss of our first half. But here we were: kids thrust into the arms of death for the twisted entertainment of those that called themselves adults.

I know Juneaux looks at me like I'm her little brother. She's mentioned a number of times how I remind her of Marcus. And sometimes I worry I could never live up to those expectations. Other times I know I could never live up the other boy who died a hero in her eyes. Because she promised between the two of us, I would be the one to live. I would be the one to go home, and there was nothing I could do to change her mind.

As much as Juneaux reminds me of my sister's kindness, she's like a parent I wish I had growing up—I say as if I'm not still a child. She looks after me in a way no one else ever had because it was my sister who needed my parents' attention, and even after she was gone, I was neglected and to blame.

The arena almost felt like a safe space. It was an illusion of the life I wish I had growing up—minus the constant threat of death. When it was just Juneaux, Rex, Honey, and myself, it felt like we could take on the world. Like we were a little family healing each other in the areas where we ourselves were not fractured. No matter how much the world took, and the waves beat against the walls of that home, we would not go quietly.

Only now Honey was gone and the dynamics of that family had changed the second we let a traitor step through the door.

True, I was eager to accept Romulus at first. I thought he could teach us how to survive, forgetting that we'd done just fine on our own. And then I heard the way he threatened and snarled and barred his teeth like a wild animal you'd find out in the fields that had wandered too far from its pack.

Juneaux said he was all bark and no bite. I think it's the only decision I've questioned up to this point. Rex might not always be the most open with strangers, but I don't think he's wrong now. If we're not careful, the wolf in sheep's clothing might just pick us off one by one.

But then he had to go and confuse me even more by saving my life. And now I'm not sure what to think when it comes to the tribute from district two.

The mouth of the cavern was too hot to approach, but I sat as close as I could anyone—still a good thirty feet away from the daylight. I almost missed the sun and the heat. It was reminiscent of home, but then I question whether I could consider district nine my home anymore as everyone I really care about is trapped in this cave with me.