04

warning(s) : mentions of kidnapping, chains, viruses

┌──── ∘°❉°∘ ────┐
chapter four
└──── °∘❉∘° ────┘

a few days later

Y/n surveys the empty room for a second, her eyes locked on the door to the office. She shrugs before walking into the room. First, she notices the rat in the glass cage. Immediately walking towards it and tapping the glass like she does to Jisoo's hermit crab.

She stares in fascination at the red-eyed rats banging against the cage. She leans closer to the cage, her face almost pressed up against it. Her eyes stuck on the dysfunctional-looking rat with patchy fur and beady bright red eyes. The rats race towards her, yet she stays. Never breaking eye contact as the caged rodent slams against the wires. A muffled sound catches her attention, breaking her trance. She spins around, spotting her cousin chained to a radiator with tape on her mouth.

"Oh, Hyeon-ju. You've been here the whole time?" Y/N tilts her head, a small smile on her face as she moves closer.

Hyeonju starts shouting something that's muffled by the tape as she thrashes around. Her gaze pointedly behind Y/N. She pushes out her lips in a pout before turning around to see Mr Lee quickly shutting the door. Y/N watches with interest as he shakily locks the door, his eyes shifting around the door before landing on you bent down beside Hyeon-ju. He drops his books, looking for a weapon or something to restrain her.

"Ms Hwang-"

"You kidnapped my cousin, old man?"

Although her voice expresses shock, Hwang Y/N's face remains calm. If you didn't look at her, you would believe she cares. Pity her eyes are blank and her mind is focused on one thing. The virus.

"She- she tried to kill my son."

"Oh, I don't care why you took her." Y/N scoffs, waving a dismissive hand. Lee Byeong-chan blinks, looking at the student in front of him with a look of confusion. His hands shaking, the panic still evident in his face.

"Aunt Hana hasn't stopped bothering me about her and I think kidnapping is a good idea to give her. She can bother the police and not me." Y/N grins, throwing her hands in the air excitedly. She jumps up and places her hands in her pockets.

"What..."

"I'll be back, Mr Lee!" Y/N slinks past him and unlocks the door with a slight grin, immediately blending in with her surroundings as she moves towards the cafeteria with everyone else. He sputters, shaky hands shoot out in an attempt to stop her from leaving but his shock stops him. He stays frozen, trying to comprehend what just took place. Mr Lee stands in the room, heart hammering as he pulls at his hair. She could expose everything.

❥๑━━━━━━๑❥

"I'm back." Y/N walks into the room, five minutes later with a lunch tray.

A bowl of rice, mini sausages, a packet of chips and chocolate milk on the side. It's against school rules for trays and cafeteria food to be taken outside of the cafeteria so he ponders for a moment how she managed to get away with that.

She finished a call with her aunt, explaining that maybe her beloved cousin might have been kidnapped and she should call the police to file a case. Finally, the woman would stop yammering on about her missing daughter. It was getting on Y/N's nerves.

"So what's all this? The reason you've been teaching us about viruses all week?" She points her spoon at her sedated cousin and then the lab.

Mr Lee states for a moment, running through all of the scenarios in his head. The girl was a menace. Not in the same way Gwi-nam and his friends were. She didn't hurt his son but she wasn't the kindest soul in Hyo-san either. Her father killed her mother, so something is bound to be wrong with her too. But she's smart. Her interest in his recent classes hasn't gone unnoticed. So, Byeong-chan makes the risky decision. He decides to show her the tapes and explains the whole Jonas virus to her later on.

"He has no will."

Lee Byeong-chan snaps his head towards the girl who has her eyes glued to the laptop screen, observing as he speaks with Lee Jin-su flailing in the background.

"What?"

"Jin-su has no will. That's why he's stuck like that. I think with your virus, you stripped away the essence of human beings." The teenager takes a bite out of a sausage, taking a moment to chew and swallow before speaking again.

"Our driving force is fear and our response to it is self-preservation. If a person is determined enough, they might not lose that sense of self-preservation and actually turn into something more. Our fight, flight or freeze reactions are put to the test, I'm guessing. With the right level of fight and drive for something - revenge, survival, love - the virus mutates into something more. Your original vision for the Jonas Virus."

Lee Byeong-chan listens to her observations, staring at the screen where his son snarls and thrashes against the chains. She casually takes a bite out of her food as she watches the half-dead boy on the screen closely. The boy thrashes against the chains, her eyes analytically scanning his movements.

"I think, at first Jin-su did have that sense of preservation on the rooftop. A drive to finally fight back. The virus did enhance him in that moment. But something changed, possibly the drive wasn't strong enough, and he lost that drive so he let the virus consume him. He's essentially stuck in fight mode and that's it. Just running purely on adrenaline the entire time and having no rational thoughts."

Y/N leans on her elbows as she watches Jin-su thrash around. The chains restrict his movements as he pulls on them, snarling at the camera. Lee Byeong-chan looks at the screen in thought, observing for a minute before racing to look over his notes on the subject matter.

❥๑━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━๑❥

—two updates, woohoo! let's see how much i can update tonight haha

posted 27/12/2023