Chapter 7. The rest of the night.

"Mom...please don't go... Don't leave me here alone..."

My eyes never seem to stop shedding tears and my heart was racing with it. It felt like someone was gripping and crushing it until it's empty and bloodless...and broken.

"You're not alone, sweetheart...you still have your---"

She stopped in mid-sentence to cough.

I can almost feel her pain. I can almost feel her sufferring just by looking at her colorless face.

She was so beautiful...

Her cheeks never ran out of cheers and her lips never faded smiles and laughter of incandescent happiness.

Nayumi was her name...and I wished she had lived forever.

"They love you...but they have to leave you so soon...y-you know they love you, honey..."

My heart sank.

"I know, Mommy... I don't hate them."

"P-please forgive your father---"

She coughed again, and this time...with her weakest response...

"P-promise me, princess...that you'll find it in your heart to f-forgive him...promise m-me..."

I can't...

Devil may cry but I'll never forgive him.

But in order to give my mother a peaceful rest...

"Yes...I promise, Mommy... I-i promise..."

She made a weak smile but the most comforting smile she had ever shown eversince she was tied in her deathbed.

I'd sell my soul just to see that little smile of hers...

"G-good girl...b-be strong and remember...always...a-always listen to your heart..."

And then she closed her eyes and fell into a sleep-like death...

"RUBY!!!"

Napaigtad ako sa kama. Butil-butil ng pawis ang namuo sa noo ko.

Hindi ko alam kung gaano katagal ako nakatulog pero isa lang ang nasisiguro ko...

I'm being haunted by past memories.

Ramdam ko pa ang masidhing pait na naramdaman ko nang araw na 'yon. Para bang nangyari na kani-kanina lang.

I tried to move on and forget pero bakit ganoon?

Hindi ko kayang kalimutan ang sakit. Pakiramdam ko ay sasabog ang dibdib ko sa sobrang galit at sakit.

Bakit kailangan ko pang mapanaginipan at maalala iyon ngayon?

Bakit?!

"There you are---oh my goodness and a half! You're still undressed!"

Napatingin ako bigla sa orasan sa night table ko. Alas-syete na!

Dove was looking at me intently. Nakatayo na nakapameywang siya sa may bukana ng pinto ng kwarto ko.

"Shit!"

Marahas kong hinawi ang kumot na nakatabing sakin at patakbong pumunta sa banyo para maghilamos. Sunod kong tinakbo ang sa closet ko kung saan abala na si Dove sa paglalalabas ng mga damit na siya rin naman ang naglagay doon.