PROLOGUE

A sinking feeling filled the pit of Kwon Yoon-Ji's stomach as she watched the school bus pull up to the curb, its large, white body gleaming under the street light

A sinking feeling filled the pit of Kwon Yoon-Ji's stomach as she watched the school bus pull up to the curb, its large, white body gleaming under the street light. She had been both dreading and looking forward to this day for weeks now, and here it was- the annual school retreat to the youth center in the countryside.

She understood that it was supposed to be a time for relaxation and reflection, offering the chance to form connections that would almost surely never have been otherwise. Yoon-Ji was fine with that much. And her friends and a select few classmates were the only company she really needed to have fun.

However, the very prospect of traveling to a remote and obscure location, with so many negative outcomes immediately springing to mind, was something she dreaded.

'Why did it have to be mandatory?' Yoon-Ji groaned inwardly, shuffling behind her other classmates as they awaited further directions from the teacher and class leaders.

"Everyone, please line up properly," Instructed their class president, Kim Jun-Hee. "Those sitting at the back will be the first ones to board."

Though the sun had yet to rise, most of the student's moods were quick to pick up. Soon, all the sleepiness were swept away and only excited chatters filled the air. Yoon-Ji left her duffle bag by the other student's baggages and walked up to the line, taking her spot behind a visibly enthusiastic Heo-Yool.

"You guys! Let's play mafia later, I have a few ideas I wanted to try," Heo-Yool grinned, his arms slung around Nam Yeon-Woo's shoulders to enclose the other with a hug.

How the male managed to exert such an excessive amount of energy at such an ungodly hour was something Yoon-Ji could never hope to understand.

"Tone it down, Yool," She sighed from behind her friend, looking at the watch that read 4:00 AM. "It's too early for you to be this rowdy,"

Yeon-Woo, who would normally go along with whatever Heo-Yool did, wholeheartedly agreed, letting out an 'aish' as Heo-Yool shook him in his hold, "Yoon is right, at least wait until we get on the bus..."

"Okay, but you'll all play right? right? Good!"

"Yah, you better hope you don't get Mafia," came the input of their other friend, Baek Eun-Ha, tossing her damp hair over her shoulder, "If I found you even slightly suspicious I'll be the first to vote you out, got that?"

"Eh? You're really no fun, you know-"

While everyone was lining up to board the bus, Yoon-Ji took a moment to observe her classmates' expressions. At the far end of the line was a drowsy-looking Lee Yoon-Seo and next to her stood a deep in thought Oh Jung-Won. Despite not being as close to the two as she was with Heo-Yool and the others, she had the opportunity to work on a project with them once and enjoyed their company thoroughly.

Yoon-Ji flung them a small wave that was missed by the former but was acknowledged by the latter who responded with a curt smile.

Feeling accomplished, Yoon-Ji surveyed the faces of her remaining classmates. Her gaze lingering on the imposing figure of Go Kyung-Jun, who was flanked by two goons, Shin Seung-Bin and Kim Jin-Ha. The delinquent group was infamous for harassing numerous students, with the acts being done in plain sight and with the school being woefully incapable of stopping them.

Her recluse personality has always kept her from crossing their path, and so she had been spared the fate of being bullied by the troublemakers. Despite occasionally witnessing their antics to her friend group, none of them had ever directly confronted her. Therefore, she was probably the only one in her class who hadn't ever been victimized by them, and she fervently wished for it to remain that way in the future.

As Yoon-Ji dozed off in thought, Kyung-Jun's eyes suddenly fleeted from face to face until they stopped to meet her own, as if feeling her stare boring into him.

In those few seconds her eyes locked into Kyung-Jun's, Yoon-Ji felt a surge of emotions that she didn't fully understand. Was she unnerved that the other had managed to notice her? Scared at the thought of accidentally crossing the other? Whatever the case, it was a strange and unfamiliar feeling, one that made her feel so uncomfortable that she broke the stare to face the front, just barely missing the hint of intrigue on the other's face before he too, looked away.

'What am I doing?' Yoon-Ji inwardly berated herself, embarrassed at having been caught in the act. But despite her inner turmoil, Yoon-Ji still tried her best to act casual.

"Oh?" Heo-Yool's face met hers, bearing a curious expression, "Who were you looking at?"

"No one," Yoon-Ji shook her head, deciding to keep the truth a secret, "just zoned out cuz 'm still sleepy..."

The male hummed in thought, as though he didn't fully believe her. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off as their teacher, Mr. Lee, relayed a few other rules to them before their departure.

After a brief period of waiting and a few final instructions from the teacher, the students finally boarded the bus. Yoon-Ji settled herself down in a seat at the back, which happened to be the same row as Heo-Yool and Yeon-Woo.

She tried to fight the yawns that threatened to consume her as she got comfortable, but the lack of sleep was just too overwhelming. As the bus' engine hummed into life, she leaned against the seat and closed her eyes.

While drifting off, she felt a glimmer of excitement flicker in the depths of her mind. She had been awaiting the retreat all week, eager for a break from the routine of school. And as she slipped into the embrace of the gentle rocking of the bus, she allowed herself to imagine the countless adventures that lay ahead.

'I hope it'll be fun...'

It was with these thoughts running through her mind that Yoon-Ji finally surrendered herself to the embrace of sleep, her body gradually relaxing as she drifted into the warmth of slumber.

( note )
just a bit of build up cuz I like
setting the scene...or something
heavily unedited!