FOUR

It was already afternoon by the time Jun-Hee called for everyone to gather

It was already afternoon by the time Jun-Hee called for everyone to gather. Without wasting a second, the students hurriedly poured into the lobby, arriving to find their class leader accompanied by Yoon-Seo and Jung-Won.

The last time the class saw them, they were on their way to the rooftop, likely looking for an alternative route since their 'run up to the main road' plan failed. Although it appeared pointless at the moment, an act of desperation, it instilled hope in their hearts about possibly finding an escape from this nightmarish hellscape.

“Do you think they've…” Eun-Ha trailed off as they filed into the room, eyes taking on a gleam of hope as she traced the figure of the trio who were looking over the map of the retreat center.

‘Were they able to get in contact with someone?' Yoon-Ji queried herself as she fell in step with Eun-Ha. She traced her eyes over the same map their class leader was intensely staring at, pondered for a while, and gently shook her head. "Don't get too hopeful, Eun-Ha."

It couldn't possibly be that simple. The words went unsaid, but it may as well have been with the way her words hung and filled the air like a thick fog. They had discovered the hard way that nothing here was simple or harmless, especially not the hope of escape. 

As much as she hated to be the bearer of the bad news, she knew that they needed to face their situation with realism, not blind hope. And while she understood that this wasn't what anyone wanted to hear, it was what they needed. They had to keep their eyes open, willing to adjust their approach based on the way things developed in the future.

“Is everyone here already?" Jun-Hee inquired as he looked around, taking in the expressions of people he knew were placing their expectations on him as the class president. So-Mi broke off from her clique, glanced at everyone in the hall, and gave Jun-Hee an approving look which he returned with a subtle grateful nod.

"Unfortunately, we still haven't been able to contact anyone outside," he told them frankly, seeing no reason to proceed carefully. It was just as expected, and everyone became defeated at the prospect of lost communications, but they knew they were gathered there for a reason, so they decided to hold themselves together until the president finished.

Jun-Hee examined their expressions, before proceeding to place a palm over the board to his right, where the entire land property of the youth center was mapped out. "But, earlier we tried to figure out where the boundaries lie around the centre, and, we were able to go far enough we reached the entrance to the trail.”

Everyone intently listened to his words, trying to follow what the class leader was going with this information on hand.

“As you can see, there's a mountain between that trail,” He gestured to the map, before continuing. “And at the end is a village.”

The male paused for a bit, letting everyone take in his words before he swallowed his spit and then finally said, "For the time being, I believe the best thing for us to do is try to find people there who might be able to help." as Jun-Hee laid out his proposal, he was met with a slew of doubtful looks questioning his seriousness.