Kabanata 43

Kabanata 43

Silas

"Defense," tawag ni Judge Madrigal kay Nic. "You may now cross-examine the witness."

Nic didn't stood up. Tumingin lang siya kay Governor Simson tapos kay Judge.

"I don't have any questions for him, Judge."

Judge Madrigal raised her brow. "Are you sure about that?"

"Yes, Judge. I believe the prosecution already asked what the court needs to hear. It is up to you if you would believe it."

I turned to Nic. I didn't expect him to say that and he didn't even blink. I was the one to blink in shock. Tinapik ko siya baka sakaling matauhan na nasa loob siya ng korte.

"Are you sure?" Governor Simson smirked. “This is your chance to ask me about the truth.”

Nic sarcastically laughed. “Believe me, Governor Simson. If I want to know the truth, you are not the person I am going to ask.”

Governor Simson stood up and pointed at Nic. “Are you telling me that I am lying? That I am not a credible witness?”

“Your words, Governor, not mine,” Nic shrugged, ignoring Governor Simson’s tantrums as he grabbed a bar of his chocolate.

“How dare you! Did you hear what he said, Judge Madrigal?”

“Sumbungero,” bulong ni Nic sabay buga ng hangin.

“Nic.” Siniko ko siya. “Can you just ask?”

“Ayoko. He’s boring.”

“Attorney Valle, in front now.” Judge Madrigal called him while Governor Simson is still talking nonsense.

Nic just stood up listening to Judge Madrigal but I could feel that he wasn’t listening. Nic is really stubborn at times—same with Soleiana. Kaya nga hindi na ako magtataka kung matigas din ang ulo ng anak namin. Nagmana sa Mommy at sa Tito niya na pinaglilihian ni Soleiana.

I glanced at her. She’s sitting on the third row with Zia and Gia while Clev, Azi, Uno, and Henrich are at the back. I already told her not to come because she’s already near her due date. There’s only two months left.

Although, her baby bump is not that obvious. Hindi rin naman siya ganun tumaba kaya hindi rin halata na may laman na ang tiyan niya tapos maluwag na damit din ang suot niya ngayon. We do not want people to know about our pregnancy, especially Governor Simson, so as much as possible I do not want her to go out unless it is really necessary.

Aside from that, the news about my case is currently the talk of the town, and because of that, the people started discussing the scandal again. I do not want her to hear what people are saying about me because she might blame herself.

“I love you,” I mouthed when our eyes met.

She smiled and mouthed the same words. Oh, I missed her so much that if only I could make love to her right here and then.

I pretended I couldn’t understand her when she started talking about the cut near my eyebrow. Umiling lang ako tapos tumingin na ulit kay Judge dahil sakto naman na pabalik na si Nic.

“What did she say?”

“She got mad,” Nic whispered. “And told me she didn’t give me the highest grade in her entire teaching life just for me to act like this.” Salubong na ang kilay niya. “As if. Paano naman ako gaganahang kausapin ang sinungaling?”

“Chill.” Tinapik ko siya. “Asha is watching,” asar ko na lang. I know for a fact that he likes Asha and it wasn’t just a guess because he confessed his regrets to me upon seeing Asha with her boyfriend.