Chapter 3

AMAYA

They spotted Luna and a guy walking hand in hand. Maya maintained a stoic expression, pretending not to notice Luna. Increasing their pace, Maya and Raven intertwined their fingers, attempting to avoid Luna's presence.

"Ah mela," Luna called, making Maya and Raven stop dead in their tracks. "Your name's not mela" Raven whispered, giving a frown.

"Typical Luna," Maya muttered under her breath, rolling her eyes as she lightly squeezed Raven's hand.

"Don't pretend you didn't hear me Maya," her voice sounded close as she stepped towards them, laughing. She came to a halt and they turned around to face her. "Nice Hoodie Mela" she jeered, flipping her hair.

"It's Maya" Raven interjected firmly.

"And you don't think I know BOYFRIEND!" She spat, disdainfully looking at Raven. Stepping closer to Maya, she used her fingers to trail around the hoodie. "Is not yours, is it?"

"No, it's not" Amaya remarked, bracing herself for what was to come.

"I just knew it," she chortled mockingly, placing her hands on her hips. "Mama couldn't afford it right?" Her cutting remark hung in the air as she noticed Raven seething with anger.

This wasn't the first time Luna had treated Maya as a doormat, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. Maya hesitated to report her to the teachers, fearing she would be labeled a snitch or a witch due to her striking blue eyes. It wasn't her fault she inherited them from her father.

A memory of catching Luna and her boyfriend kissing in the library flashed through Maya's mind, almost making her sick then. She had been warned to keep it a secret under threat, but could she bear such a burden? She decided to report them, leading to a week of suspension for the couple. However, this action only escalated the bullying from Luna. Tears welled up in Maya's eyes as she relived these moments. She could no longer contain her emotions.

She sadly leaned her head on his shoulder, sobbing silently as she wrapped her arms around his torso. "Oh come on Maya, we're just having fun," she taunted, tossing her hair back and shooting a piercing glare at Raven.

"Excuse us, please," Raven stated, lifting Maya's head tenderly. She released her grip and gazed nervously at the floor. Raven held her hands once more, indicating it was time for them to leave. "We're running late for something."

They turned around and started walking away when Luna scoffed, "Don't forget to return it to the owner!"

Raven regretted, turning around to hear her say shit about his best friend. What has been said has been said, no turning back.

~~~

After some minutes of silence, Raven decided to broke the ice. "Hey," she looked at him, making him notice that her dazzling bright blue eyes had suddenly darkened "Hi."
This is an awkward way to start a conversation with your best friend, he thought and mentally gave himself a slap.

"You wanna talk about it?" He asked, his curiosity piqued.

"No, it's childish" she replied, looking down as she watched her every footsteps.

"What's childish about it?" He inquired, still looking at her as he admired her beautiful black hair.

"Nevermind, Raven," Maya responded, causing him to frown. He stopped abruptly and gently took hold of her arm, an action he had never taken before.

Surprised by his touch, Maya also halted. "Shall we go to the library?" Raven suggested, peering straight into Maya's eyes. She looked away briefly, but Raven gently shook her arm, urging her to meet his gaze. She complied.

"Let's go" he took her hands in his and they walked straight to the library.

~~~

"Come on, smile for Ravy" he teased, looking at her serious face. She stared at him, a hint of sadness still on her face. Ravy was oftentimes the charm to make her smile but it wasn't working. It was the name she called him when they were little.

"I'll tickle you" he said, playfully wiggling his fingers, trying to earn a smile from her.

"Raven don't" she half whispered, warning him with a glare. "Then give me a smile," he encouraged, persisting with his playful gesture.

Resting her elbows on the table, Maya forced a smile, though it appeared strained. "Come on, your eyes are darkening," Raven remarked.

"Hey Ravy, I'm a knight," he mimicked a childish voice, evoking memories of Maya's seven-year-old self sitting at the dining table, wielding a fork like a sword and battling imaginary dragons with her food. The memory brought a genuine smile to her face.

"It happened only once" she pointed out, folding her arms, in between laughs. Raven laughed mildly, hoping he wouldn't disturb the library assistant. "Now that's the Maya I know," he commented and she rolled her eyes.

"I know you have something to say, so let it out," he encouraged, knowing how talking things through often brought her comfort. She really wanted to talk to him, it always worked.

"Dude, I don't know if I can handle Luna's taunts anymore. I'm tired of being seen as weak, tired of forgiving," Maya sighed, folding her arms. "I want to take taekwondo classes." Raven burst into a mocking laughter.

"Seriously Maya?" Raven asked, pushing his hair away from his face.

"Yeah, I'm exhausted," she frowned, tapping her feet from under the table.

"Remember the Bible says we should forgive seventy times seven?" Raven reminded her, amidst his chuckles. It was challenging, but Raven's wisdom held true.

"Yeah, I do," Maya mumbled.

"Dealing with people like her can be tough. They need our prayers," Raven reassured her, and a smile crept back onto Maya's face.

"Alright, let's pray" he told her, stretching out his hands for her to take. She took his hands and shut his eyes in response.

Maya's mind wandered during the prayer. She had made up her mind to confront Luna with determination the next time.

After all, as the Bible says, "Break the hedge, and the serpent will bite." Maya wasn't a snake, but she had decided – taekwondo was on the horizon.