The Move

Nicks POV:

I helped my mom and dad put another box into the U-Haul truck then took one look at my house.

It was the house I grew up in, where I learned how to ride a bike, my first Christmas, and when I almost burned it down because I was smoking.

My mom called my name and shook me out of my thoughts. I took a deep breath and turned on my heel towards the car.

My dad was driving the U-Haul and I was in our small Honda Accord with my mom. I rested my head on the window, plugged in my earbuds and closed my eyes, and we were off to West Texas.

"Nick wake up!" my mom said shaking my shoulder. I slowly opened my eyelids and looked around. It was the third day that we have driving and we finally made it. All I saw were a bunch of corn fields and cattle. "what do people do around here for fun?" I said thinking out loud.

"You have to use your imagination!" My mom said and I just rolled my eyes and leaned my head back.

About 5 minutes later we pulled up to a small house. It was painted white with a screen door and my grandma standing there waving.

It had a wrap around porch with rocking chairs on it and flower beds. It was two story but there wasn't that much room it looked like.

My mom pulled up on the driveway that as barely paved like the rest of the roads. My dad pulled up with the U-Haul behind us.

I got out of the car and grabbed my back-pack swinging it on my shoulder. I need a smoke.

My grandma opened up the screen door and walked out to give my a hug. I walked up the steps up to the porch and door and she held out her arms.

My grandpa passed away a few weeks ago and my grandma couldn't stay alone at the house and refused to go to a nursing home so my dad decided that we would go live with her.

She gave me a tight hug, her head reached to about my shoulder. I was 6'1 and she had to be about 5 ft.

I said my hello and then walked into the house. The wooden floor creaked as I walked on it.

"I'll show you your room." my dad said patting my shoulder and walking in front of me up the stairs.

My dad use to live in this house, he grew up here. I followed him up the stairs to the upstairs.

"Here's your room bud." my dad said opening a wooden door. The room had white walls and two windows that looked out to the front yard. There was a twin bed up against the wall and a wooden dresser that was painted baby blue with peeling paint. There was a desk inbetween the windows that was small and was made out of grey wood.

"yeah I know it's not your old room but it will work. You're a senior next year, you'll be fine." my dad said then walked out the room.

I threw my bag on the bed and sat down on it, making it squeak, great.

"Nick come down stairs!" my mom yelled and I huffed walking down the creaky stairs.

"There is a family coming over tonight for dinner to meet us so make sure you clean up." my mom said and I nodded and walked out to the front porch.

I looked around looking for a place to smoke. This move was driving me insane.

Tonight I would be going out with a couple friends to a party and drinking, having actual fun.

There were barely any trees around here, but I saw a big one and leaned up against it away from the house.

I lit a cigarette and leaned my head back thinking about everything that's going on.

Once I was done, I squished the cig into the ground and went inside and ran upstairs to brush my teeth.

Of course my parents had no idea I smoked, so I had to sneak it every once in a while.

I wiped my face off and then went back into my room, plopping on the bed, messing around on my phone.

An hour later the family that is good friends with my grandma came over. I went downstairs to meet them.

It was a middle-aged couple that had a daughter who was about 7 or 8 and a son who was my age.

I shook all there hands and we all went and sat at the large dining room table.

I sat on the end next to my mom and across from the family's son, his name is Tanner. He was tall, maybe 6'3 or so, had dark curly hair and had some muscle not to much and a thick country accent.

"So, what do you guys do around here?" I asked him as we ate our dinner.

"for fun, uh, most of us go to drag races or go out to parties at night, go to the drive in and stuff." Tanner said and I nodded.

"where did yall move from again?" he asked me and I looked up at him. "Seattle." I said continuing to eat.

"And yall drove?" he asked and I nodded. "Isn't that kinda far?" he said and I shrugged.

"Not that bad, only about 3 days." I said. "I would expected to be maybe a week." he said and I shrugged again. "That's why you sound so funny." he said laughing.

"you think I sound funny, you should hear you from my end." I said smiling. We continued to talk about stuff until we finished eating out dinner.

They left and Tanner and I exchanged numbers. He's pretty cool I guess.

"Hey Nick, there's a drag race tomorrow, you wanna come?" he said and my mom smiled. "He would love too!" she said grabbing my shoulders.

I nodded. "Cool I'll come over at 1 and we'll drive over there?" he asked and I nodded again.

They left and I went back upstairs while my parents helped my grandma wash the dishes.

I got ready for bed then slid under the covers. God please help me!