The Race

Nicks POV:

Tanner pulled up to my grandmas house and honked the horn. I ran down the stairs yelling bye then slamming the door shut.

I jogged out to his two seater red truck and hopped in the passenger seat.

"You ready?" Tanner said as I buckled my seat. "yeah." I said nodding.

He turned on the radio and country music came out the speakers. I made a weird face and looked at him.

"What?" he said innocently looking at me then back at the road. "really, country music?" I said with my eyebrows furrowed together.

"What do you listen to then city boy!" he said, and I took the Aux cord and started playing my type of music.

Drake's voice rang through the speakers and I turned it up louder, way louder. Tanner just shook his head and laughed and began driving.

We pulled up to the race track and Tanner turned off the car. "If you're gonna live in the south you have to get use to country music!" Tanner said getting out of the truck.

I got out with him and shoved my hands in my pockets, walking next to Tanner. We took a ramp up to the bleachers and walked up the steps to the ninth row in the bleachers.

"TANNER!" I heard a guy yell, he was also pretty tall and a lot more buff then Tanner, blonde hair and blue eyes. "Hey Chris, this is my new buddy Nick, he moved here from Seattle." Tanner said pulling me up with him.

"Hey man!" Chris said pulling me in for a guy hug thing. "Nice to meet you!" he said and I smiled back at him. "you too."

We sat back down in the bleachers, I was on the end next to two empty seats and Tanner was on the other side of me.

Chris and Tanner were talking as the bleachers filled up, I just sat looking at my phone or whatever. Drunk, race car crazy fans, and girls taking off their tops or wearing almost nothing cheering on the drivers surrounded us.

"Hey Mallory and Jackie are here!" Chris said waving towards two girls coming down from the top of the stands.

One of them was a short mixed girl with long black hair and was wearing a white tank top with a jean jacket over it and some jean shorts. The other one was, wow!

She had long hair that was brown with some highlights mixed in and was wearing a plaid cropped top and ripped jean shorts with brown cowboy boots. She was something else!

"Hey Mal, lookin' good!" Chris said and she rolled her eyes. "Yeah better then any of your ex's!" she spat and then smirked walking down towards me on the end. I stood up so they could sit next to Tanner.

"Ooh who's this cutie!" Jackie said sitting inbetween Tanner and me while Mallory took a seat on the other side of me next to a stranger.

"This is Nick he moved from Seattle yesterday." Tanner said and I smiled at her. "Maybe I should move up to Seattle if all the boys up there look like you!" Jackie said laughing.

"I don't know, I'm pretty hard to find." I said jokingly and she laughed. "Well I'm Jackie Flloyd, welcome to West Texas!" she said smiling and I smiled back at her, then she turned started talking to Tanner.

"I'm Mallory." Mallory said smiling her pretty pearly whites. "Pretty name for a pretty girl." I said smiling at her then turning my gaze towards the race.

The racers were coming around to the finish line and we all stood up. Everyone was cheering except me, I had no idea what was going on.

"Aw shit! I had my money on number 55!" Chris said and we all laughed. I just smiled and acted like I knew what was going on.

"Hey, I'm gonna go get something to drink, Nick you wanna come with?" Mallory asked standing up.

"Sure." I said standing up behind her. I followed her out of the bleachers towards the concession stand.

"So Nick, you're from Seattle, why did you move to small town West Texas?" Mallory asked as we waited in line.

"Family reasons." I said. I'm not that open with many people. "Oh." she said.

It was definitely awkward but I could feel her staring so I started a conversation. "Enjoying the view?" I smirked and she snapped out of her gaze.

"You're not that bad." she said playfully shoving me in the shoulder, laughing, looking me up and down.

"Neither are you." I said, getting a little closer to her. "Yeah." she giggled and I turned away up towards the lady at the concession.

In the corner of my eye I saw her get a little upset that I didn't lean in more, making me smirk.

"One coke for me and a..." I said turning towards Mallory. "Coke." she said and I turned back. "make that two cokes please!" I said and she nodded getting the drinks for us.

"Thank you!" she said cheerfully and I turned to her, taking and paying for our drinks.

"What are you doin' tomorrow night?" she asked, taking sip. "Nothing, there's nothing to do around here!" I said looking around.

"Well there is a party that everyone is going to, to kick off the summer, you should come!" she said.

"Tanner is going you can get a ride with him!" she said smiling. "yeah sure I'll talk to Tanner about it." I said.

"cool!" she said, almost shouting, and we walked back up to the stands to finish watching the race.