1. The warning shot

♪ She's into superstitions, black cats and voodoo dolls

♪ She's into superstitions, black cats and voodoo dolls. I feel a premonition, that girl's gonna make me fall... ♪

My radio blasted on full volume as I swept across the parquet floors, dancing along one after another bouncier songs. My pearl blonde hair swung side to side around my waist, hugging the silky smooth movements that took me from plant to plant.

It was my favourite part. The plants.

Vines, flowers, trees, reeds, cactuses– I had it all. Some climbed the ceiling, some the walls if not creating their own, and some just sat in pots or crates. I tended them all according to their distinctive needs; watering, trimming, changing containers and soil, getting rid of excess leaves, adding fertilisers, and so on. Here and there I also checked my website for new orders, as well as going through the things that needed restocking or packaging.

All in all, it was just like any other day.

Or, at least it should've been.

I had woken up to the morning sun, pulled on thick woollen stockings, and then climbed downstairs into my shop. A cup of steaming glogg awaited me on the windowsill while I worked, its warmth tending the frosty glass that read in big, cursive handwriting to all the newcomers:

┌─── ∘°❉°∘ ───┐
Oakley's
Pots & Posies
└─── °∘❉∘° ───┘

17-year-old me had thought it was the cutest thing ever. But I didn't have the heart to change it, and as embarrassing as it was, it had grown on me. Catchy and memorable always drew in customers. The snowflakes on the other hand -which I loved- were something the town's jolly coiffeur, Martha Caddel, had come up with.

- It fits your name perfectly! she'd squealed, neck deep in my thigh-length hair.

It pretty much marked the moment where I had finally decided to seize the opportunity to change my life-hobby (or more like an obsession) into a fun little business. A flower shop. And, as reckless as I was, it had happened in no less than a week. I had bought a house away from the town and packed my stuff, carrying out my childhood dream despite my father's resistance. He didn't think it was safe all the way out here, so close to the forest, but luckily I had managed to change his mind.

Somewhat.

I mean, try to tell no to a boy who selectively turns his ears off every time someone tries to tell no to him...

I swayed my way to the back of the room, skipping and whirling, I kissed a girl on the tip of my tongue. It was the kind of dancing that would've gotten any witness shipped off and killed, but I didn't care. It made me feel free.