three

Between your assignments, both you and him get frozen in cryo-chambers. They aren't your invention, and the first time you were put in one, you were scared to get stuck in it. They hadn't explained it, they never explained anything. But then they de-froze you after what felt like minutes for you, and you continued to live like before. Without realizing that a year and six months had passed for everyone else.

  In between the cryogenic stasis', you see Bucky regularly. He changes over time. His hair grows longer, his muscles bigger, his body taller, and his movement more controlled. And his eyes are colder every time you see him.

  They train him. Brainwash him. You repair his arm, build a new one as soon as you get the permission to. You get used to him being around you, even though he doesn't talk. You don't talk, either. And he's more distant than before. He doesn't look at you anymore like he used to. With this puzzled expression, as if he's questioning, how you got here. He looks at you like you betrayed him. But he looks at everyone like that. Until there's no sentiment in his eyes anymore.

  You change, too. Your clothes get replaced. You're allowed to wear pants and shirts and flat shoes now, instead of unpractical dresses and high heels. Someone cuts your hair shorter so it's not in your way anymore. At first, the hair tips tickle your neck and shoulders when you shake your head, but soon you get used to the feeling.

  The light down in the base gets better. Your working materials are easier to use. The bedroom is more comfortable. A team of medics operates on your eyes and suddenly you see better again, even the small fonts in the instructions you are given.

  He gets used to doing things without being given orders. When you walk into his room, he automatically stands up and follows you to the mechanical lab. There you open the metal plates of his arm and repair the fine mechanics. Replace wires, plates, machines.

  Other orders get less and less. At some point, it's only you and him anymore. You don't know what he does all day long, but you build him weapons, explosives, anything they want. He walks out and comes back with a bloody suit, his glasses shattered. Blood speckling his arm, he sits in front of you and stares at you.

  You don't know how much time has passed. Years, decades, centuries. Maybe it's just months. But you still go into cryo-stasis in the evenings and wake up again months or years later to construct the assignments they give you. Soon, it feels like you've done this thousands of times.

  It's afternoon again when the Winter Soldier gets transported in. He sits on the chair. The chair has changed too. You've improved it repeatedly since it was built. With new mechanics and working utensils, there come new possibilities.

  He's looking at you and you expect to see the emotionless stare as you glance up at him while welding together parts in his arm.

  But no.

  He looks at you with a terrified expression. And that's worse than his cold eyes. Goosebumps come over you, but you try to shake the feeling off.

  Then he rips his arm out of your grip and sends you flying through the room. You hit a wall and gasp when you feel blood on the back of your head. He looks at you as if he regrets throwing you immediately. The Winter Soldier's muscles ease again, and he collapses slightly, his arms resting on his thighs. You carefully sit up and press a hand against your head. The guards have already raised their weapons against him.

  Your new boss enters the room. He has to be the fourth or fifth boss of you, you didn't count. They all look the same, want the same, laugh the same when you do something good. And they hit the same when you don't meet their expectations.

  This one is called Alexander Pierce. You only know it because he gets angry if you don't. the other ones didn't care.

  "Mission report," he says while stuffing his glasses into his front pocket.

  The Winter Soldier blankly stares straight ahead. Right in your direction. But he's not looking at you, not looking at the wall, not looking at anyone. He's looking at something only he sees.

  "Mission report, now." Pierce sounds angry and you flinch at the sound. The Winter Soldier shouldn't do this. He has to be careful.

  Pierce walks two steps forward and leans down, looking at the Winter Soldier with an almost friendly expression. Then he lifts his hand and hits the soldier with full force. You can't help but think how polite the Winter Soldier is to move his head with the slap. You've seen him being hit by cars and trucks, falling out of buildings from the fifth floor, and being shot several times. And every single time, he still stood up and continued. He can't have felt the slap at all.

  Now he looks up at your boss. His hair is greasy and falls into his eyes, his lips are slightly parted. The angry part in his eyes isn't angry anymore. It's confused, along with the rest of his gaze.

  "The man on the bridge," he says, his tone also confused, scared. Helpless. "Who was he?"

  It's not The Winter Soldier asking. You know that for sure. What you don't know, is who he's talking about. But your heart skips a beat when you look into his eyes again. He remembers something. The Winter Soldier remembers something. No, not the Winter Soldier.

  And in this moment, you feel the need to help him. He remembers something. It could save him. Get him out of here. He's strong, stronger than all of the guards together. He has decades of experience. He doesn't feel guilt or regret or pain. You got him in this mess, you can get him out.

  You need to help him remember, help him leave. Because if you get him to want freedom, he'll escape it with ease.